Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands

We have FisherPaykel "active smart" fridge approx 7 years old

We have FisherPaykel "active smart" fridge approx 7 years old and not the top compartment is not keep temp cold. Freezer compartment is working. Any ideas on how to trouble shoot this issue?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Repairman1981 replied 1 year ago.

Repairman1981 :

Do you see any ice on the back wall of the freezer? and if so or not, do you feel any air moving or hear a fan running?

Customer:

there is no ice on the back wall and the fan does run

Repairman1981 :

Can you post your model number so I can see if this one uses a damper assembly or just shuts the fan off ... fisher paykel makes models both ways

Customer:

where do i find the model number

Repairman1981 :

should be on the right or left wall inside the refrigerator

Customer:

E522B

Repairman1981 :

while the fan is running can you feel any air coming out in the top compartment?

Customer:

hard to say because when i open the door the fan stops

Repairman1981 :

press the door switch while you have the door open

Repairman1981 :

or if it's magnetic on this model, does the top feel cool and just not cold, or is it room temp?

Customer:

top feels more room temp

Repairman1981 :

If your sure there is no ice on the back wall of the freezer you either have a bad refrigerator sensor or a bad damper assembly

Repairman1981 :

I can give part numbers for both, and since the sensor is almost impossible to test accurately I would just replace them both

Repairman1981 :

one is 45.99 and one is 20.57

Repairman1981 :

They are in the same location, and it could literally be either one. Not easy on a control board model like this to tell which, because the sensor runs the damper

Customer:

there is no ice on the back wall. when i open the compartment with the fan I can see a bit of ice there but it is not on te back walls

Customer:

That wold be great to have part numbers and for those prices i will replace them both

Repairman1981 :

this model pulls air up to the top compartment and the damper is what controls the air into it. The sensor is what tells the damper when to open or close .... see how I arrived where you are

Repairman1981 :

Just a min ... I'll get them

Repairman1981 :

814321P is the damper

Repairman1981 :

855203P is the sensor

Repairman1981 :

You should call fisher paykel directly to order the parts ... I think it's option 2 if I remember correctly

Repairman1981 :

1.888.936.7872

Customer:

Is there a picture that shows where these parts are located?

Repairman1981 :

that will take a bit. have to pull it out of a pdf

Customer:

ok thanks.

Repairman1981 :

Full Size Image

Repairman1981 :

items 2 and 6 on this diagram

Customer:

Got it. Thanks

Repairman1981 :

no problem, lemme know if you need anything else

Experience: 7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands