Jason
Jason, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  15yrs experience

I would like to know if microwave can leak if there is a place

Customer Question

I would like to know if microwave can leak if there is a place under microwave itself and then the door goes over the place (its a gap) I have a trifield meter and was getting higher readings than usual, pretty much off the charts and I'm scared I have gotten radiation or something. I will include a picture.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X look forward to helping you! First, let's address the danger of microwave exposure. There are no radioactive properties, so the only effect you would have is an area of burning. You would feel the burn if you were exposed. Microwaves cook by using an RF (Radio Frequency) signal at about 2450 MHz. So, you can put that worry to rest.

Now, as far as a leakage goes, it is possible for the RF energy used to cook with to escape from the door area. This can be dangerous due to the burn potential. If there is ever a question with the seal of the door, it is best to replace the microwave or have a test performed on the seal with a leakage detector. If it is a countertop model, you will spend more getting it tested than replacing it, so you would probably do well just to replace it if the seal is in question.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I have the trifield meter and it was reading higher than usual (i had notice a rust spot in crevice where the door shuts on so I decided to check it and it ran higher than usual) so i decided to check it out and I was appalled at what I found. There the door closes over that bulge it has scratched the plastic on the black inside of the door, anyways im afraid this has caused me to be exposed to unsafe levels of microwave radiation as I use it often. I used the flash taking the pic, my microwave doesnt look this dirty, it just seems to show every little tiny spot.....I will include a picture.

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
I don't suspect it will leak there as that is well below the sealing area of the door. Unless that is causing the door not to shut, it shouldn't be an issue. A microwave is about the size of a number 2 pencil lead, so it needs a pretty good space to escape. If that part is not keeping the door from sealing, it should not be an issue.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

well it has like a right angle plastic peice that goes against the white then goes and right angles like an L to go over that steel peice and you can run your hand after the door closes and feel the bulge. Now when you say the door not to shut, would there be anyway that I would know the door is not really shut for sure? other than the obvsous? (The reason I ask that is that i actually opened a panasonic microwave a few years ago and it still ran and the turntable was going and you could here it cycling not like when it stops, it was running with the door open, so I am VERY scared of leaking etc).

How would I know it was "for sure" sealing? and what should the level of microwave/radio be?

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
If there is any question that the door is sealing well on the face of the cavity, I would recommend replacing it. I cannot tell from the pictures with any certainty, so if you are there and are not sure, I would replace the microwave.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Is there any other angle I can take a picture for you for the microwave? Is there any actions that the microwave would be doing to clue me in on it being properly closed?

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Well, there are several door switches that would stop the microwave if the door was not shut tight. It is possible that they can fail but to have ll fail at the same time would be very unlikely. There really is no way I can say with 100% certainty with a picture, so if there is any questions, I would replace the microwave. A counter top model is about $60 so just your peace of mind is worth that.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Its not the replacing, its the fear of what damage has already been done to my family. Here is another photo of the bottom, you can see where the little l part of the door goes over the rest of the steel but the bulging part not, it has made scratches on the inside of the microwave plastic door part. I will try to attach a vid as well. This will be of the microwave upside down. I'm working on video upload, tiny video, but I actually have a dishwasher while I was filming you can hear in the background, that just started to leak! Nice huh? its not the water supply it is coming from the door underneath i can see it drip, i checked the line out, drainhouse rather, and the water supply, they are not leaking but drip drip drip from the door, how can a dishwasher not seal? I do no that it has ruined my countertops I'm not sure if it has been doing the leaking around the door up top as I did see some water on the outside a bit, and the under the counter is wet. but the water on the bottom just started, as It was noticeable, and I have hardwood floors I can definately tell, as it comes out front of the dishwasher.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Are you still there? I dont think you mentioned what the levels should be on my meter for microwave/radio levels?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I was wondering what the safe level of microwave/radio on my meter? and if you got the pic with the door closed on the bottom i sent last, if you click to enlarge, it is the microwave upside down but the pic is sideways. The black part of the bottom of the door is suppose to barely cover the steel plate though it doesnt where the gap is. Again, I'm very concerned over the safety/health that is already done. What do you think?

Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I will be glad to assist you in your answer. Think about safety when doing repairs, electric, water, gas, ect.

Replace the microwave. Do not use it anymore. The seals are damaged, and do have a risk of leaking. Since is it part of the framework, this is why I suggest to replace it. If you feel that you, are a member of your family has been harmed, get a check-up from your family doctor. We also have doctors on this site which may be able to answer medical questions you have on this subject, that is out of my expertise. But, far as the microwave, it need to be replaced. No appliance technician should suggest any medical advise to you. That is why I suggest to seek a doctor if you feel that you may have been seriously exposed. The only professional advice that I can give is to replace that microwave. If I have been able to assist you, please give a good to great rating. If not, please respond back for more assistance.....Thank you