Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Hey mate, I have a SRS598NSS Fridge and it suddenly stopped

Customer Question

Hey mate,
I have a SRS598NSS Fridge and it suddenly stopped cooling below 12 degrees.
Any idea what the problem might be?
Thank you very much for your help.
Florian
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for using this service. Please be logged in to rate my assistance when we are done. Rating 3-5 is good, but 1-2 is bad so talk with me first.

Is the freezer still working, just not the refrigerator?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yeah mate freezer works fine, just the fridge won't cool below 12 degrees celcius

Ok, you need to remove the back panel in the refrigerator. See if the evaporator is all frosted over and make sure the fan is blowing. Often the unit will get frosted up or the fan will get some ice build up on it and stop working. Since Samsung uses a dual evaporator system there is a separate cooling unit for both the fridge and freezer. So check that out and you should see one of the two is the issue. If it is frosted defrost it and it should work fine again. If the fan has stopped clear it out or if it does not work you may need a new fan motor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey mate,

removed the backpanel and the fan is working.

No ice at all. All parts are room temperature except a round gasbottle looking device which feels warm to the touch.

The back panel inside the refrigerator. You should see a frosty evaporator. Not the panel behind the unit, the one inside the back wall of the refrigerator just to be clear.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey mate,

removed inside back panel, little bit of ice build up on the evaporator unit, defrosting it now. But cant see a fan visible at all.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey mate,

defrosted evap unit and plugged fridge back in.

Gage at the front is now reading 2 degrees but temp inside fridge is more like 15 degrees.

Is the evaporator fan running?