Appl-Tech
Appl-Tech, Service Technician
Experience:  Over twenty seven years in the appliance service business

Kenmore 800 washer (110.2982). It will cycle thru entire process

Customer Question

Kenmore 800 washer (110.2982). It will cycle thru entire process but not completely spin out water after all the cycles are complete. It sounds like the motor is working but the drum stops moving. Service tech said we needed to replace the control board. He did not pull out machine anything else. The problem is intermittent. Thoughts welcome
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appl-Tech replied 12 months ago.

Appl-Tech :

Hello, thanks for letting us answer your questions. We appreciate your business!

Appl-Tech :

It sounds like you have a bad spin clutch on the transmission.
This is one of my more common repairs on your model of machine.
Here is what it look likes

Full Size Image

Customer:

The rest of the cycles are ok (washing, agitating, etc)

Appl-Tech :

Agitation is not controlled by the clutch only spin

Customer:

Wouldn't a tech need to pull out the machine to assess the clutch?

Appl-Tech :

It is not too bad of a job if you have some tools and you are somewhat handy

Appl-Tech :

The transmission drops out of the bottom of your machine. It will take you about 45min to do the job

Appl-Tech :

If you are up for it, I can see if I can find a video for you. otherwise you will have to hire a tech

Customer:

question....i had a tech look at it. Wouldn't a tech need to pull out the machine to assess the clutch? his answer was control board.

Customer:

how could a clutch have intermittent issues?

Appl-Tech :

My guess is the tech is not correct
You can double check my diagnosis by activating the machine spin cycle with the lid open. If you look around the opening of the tub, you will see where the lid switch activator pushes thru a hole in the top of the lid opening. Take a stick or screwdriver and depress the switch inside the hole and the machine should try to spin. If the tub just sits still, you should be able to reach in and help it spin clockwise. If the machine starts to spin although slowly, it is an indication the clutch is worn out.

Appl-Tech :

And yes to your question, it can be intermittent. It jsut depends on how much clothes are in the machine

Appl-Tech :

Also, as far as I can tell , you do not have any control board on your machine. Only a timer

Customer:

if you have idea's where to purchase parts that would helpful. also a link to a video would be helpful. Thanks for your help

Appl-Tech :

Ok give me a couple of minutes to see what I can find.
YOu can purchase the parts form Sears.com

Customer:

if it spins "fast" but water does not drain. what could cause that?

Appl-Tech :

That is a different problem. If that is the case I would be checking the pump
It will not spin fast if you have water in the machine

Appl-Tech :

Is that the problem?

Customer:

we have had both issues

Appl-Tech :

Well, you have to address each issue by itself. The machine will drain the water regardless of whether is spins or not, because the pump runs by itself on one end of the motor. The spin part is on the other end of the motor.

Customer:

goodnite

Appl-Tech :

do you still want me to look up the video?

Customer:

going to call a tech......a different tech

Appl-Tech, Service Technician
Experience: Over twenty seven years in the appliance service business
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uXEbOqgOV4
You can also do a search on youtube for whirlpool washer and watch some of the other videos