Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

I have a whirlpool bottom mount refridgerator model EB9FVHXVQ02.

I have a whirlpool bottom mount refridgerator model EB9FVHXVQ02. Both the fridge and the freezer sections are not cooling. I've gone through the diagonostic tests I can do with the control board and everything seems to check out except I'm not so sure the compressor runs. The evaporator fan and compressor are supposed to come on at the same time, but as far as I can tell the evaporator fan comes on but the compressor doesn't(no noticeable sound or vibration). I have pulled out the capacitor and the overload relay that is supposed to protect the compressor. I have tested both with my multimeter. The capacitor is definitely OK. The OL relay seems to be okay(it was hot when I pulled it out but when cold the OL contacts are closed, and the coil has 5.2ohms across it). Now I am stuck. Is this a compressor failure? Have I lost the refridgerant? If yes how do I test for those things. Or has the OL failed? Could it be anything else?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

Since I am inviting you back to do any of these, do not use a 1 or 2 rating or this will likely NOT help you get a satisfactory answer. It will delay our task, and it tends to be depressing for the expert trying to help you, often right at the beginning of the exchange, before we have accomplished our task.

I know the rating system is somewhat complicated, but you do not have to do a negative rating in order not to pay or to get your deposit back.

In addition, a negative rating only serves to rate the expert doing his/her utmost to help you. The expert also will not get paid under these circumstances.

Negative ratings do not cover site problems, delays, or anything else on the site that might annoy you, as experts are only involved in trying to answer your questions.

Negative ratings do not cover posts that do not come through, or any other difficulties...experts face those just as you do. This includes frustrations that you might have had before meeting your expert.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction. But, it is up to your honor to click a smiley face and make sure that I am compensated for my time and effort. Please realize we are only compensated PER smiley per click and from bonuses, so extensive time with you would hopefully stimulate your consideration of this aspect of the system.

Is the fan near the compressor running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes. The diagnostic sheet calls it the evaporator fan.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
no the evap fan is in the freezer and the condesor fan is near the compressor, what are the ohm readings across all the terminals of the compressor, you should have 3 readings.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, my mistake the sheet calls it the condensor fan. Anyway the fan by the compressor does run.

I am not beside the fridge right now, I don't have internet access there. I can check the resistance across the three posts. Any idea what they should be?

If it isn't a faultly compressor what else could it be?

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Depending what compressor it is will determine that

graphic

Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the spec sheet, it was right under my nose.

The compressor is a Embraco EMX70.

Mearsured resistences

Start coil 5.9 ohms

Run coil 4.1 ohms

Across both coils 9.5ohms

The first two seem to be within tolerance.

No noticeable nics or dents in the piping back there. There is some orange discolouration in the bottom of a plastic pan under the condensor fan.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Your compressor is good, you need to replace the relay/overload assembly, you can order it by clicking on the blue link below.

Click here for the correct part for your unit.

Repair Clinic offers a 365 day no question ask return policy, so if the repair does not work you can return the part to them for a full refund, yes this even includes electronic parts that many other part suppliers will not allow to be returned.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating. . .

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your help Chas. After checking the compressor I agree with your assessment. I'll let you know if that doesn't solve the problem.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
No problem, be sure to rate my service to you...

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Just FYI, it turns out that while the compressor motor was fine, the compressor pump had failed. So I'm scrapping the unit since a repair costs as much as a new fridge.

Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.
Sorry to hear that. Are you sure that there is not 5 years on this compressor warranty?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Yes, it was only one year warranty, I didn't buy the extended warranty. Thanks for the help anyway.

Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.
Sorry again, have a great weekend coming..
Chas