Appl-Tech
Appl-Tech, Service Technician
Experience:  Over twenty seven years in the appliance service business

Amana BX21TW Refrig. I just replaced the Water Inlet Valve

Amana BX21TW Refrig. I just replaced the Water Inlet Valve which is now working but I now have a leak in the plastic tubing running from the water inlet valve to the ice maker fill tube. The compression fitting on the plastic tubing at the water inlet valve is leaking and the tubing appears to be damaged. There is also a leak where the plastic tubing attaches to the fill tube for the ice maker. I found plastic tubing PS2109031 1/4"x8 1/2 ft. long and Compression Nut PS5380655 but I did not see that these parts worked with my model BX21TW. Will these parts work with my model? Do I also need to purchase a clip for the tubing where it attaches to the fill tube.
I will probably replace the Fill Tube PS1738178 also. Are there any other Fill Tube related parts that you would recommend replacing? Thanks for any help you can provide.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appl-Tech replied 11 months ago.

Appl-Tech :

Hello, thanks for letting us answer your questions. We appreciate your business!

Appl-Tech :

Hello
I just wanted to restate your problem.
You have a leak on the tubing at the new valve?

Appl-Tech :

Do you have the part number of the new valve?

Customer:

Yes and also where the tubing attaches to the ice maker fill tube.

Customer:

I think the valve Part is 12490801

Appl-Tech :

If you are leaking water where the tube enters the freezer, my thought is you may have the tube frozen in the wall of the freezer. There should be no pressure being built up in the line after it exits the water valve. The water just flows thru the tube to the icemaker. First thing to do is check that by trying to blow thru the tube at the valve end and see if the tube is clogged.

Appl-Tech :

If the tubing is damaged, but still long enough to reconnect to the valve, just take a sharp knife and cut off about a 1/2" and try to reinsert it back into the compression nut on the new valve and retighten it.

Customer:

I will try to do that. Then what do I do if the line or fill tube is frozen?

Appl-Tech :

you can take a hair dryer or portable steamer to clear any ice in the icemaker fill tube. This is a very common problem when the valve fails, because the valve will drip like a bad faucet, slowly forcing water up the tube to the fill spout and then it freezes because there is not enough water flow to keep the tube clear.

Customer:

If I decide to replace the plastic tubing from the water inlet valve are the part nos. PS2109031 Tubing and PS(NNN) NNN-NNNNgood for my BX21TW Refrig?

Appl-Tech :

There is nothing special about the tubing, you could purchase some at your local hardware store. It is just 1/4 nylon tubing

Appl-Tech :

Have you checked to see if the line is plugged

Customer:

NO not yet. I will try to do it later. THanks

Appl-Tech :

no problem, do you think you understand everything I have discussed with you?

Customer:

yes

Appl-Tech, Service Technician
Experience: Over twenty seven years in the appliance service business