Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have an older Whirlpool Duet dryer that is displaying error

Customer Question

I have an older Whirlpool Duet dryer that is displaying error code PF when I try to start it. What does this mean and how can I fix it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 12 months ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

PF is a power failure. most likely since this wont start the thermal fuse is blown . can you open the door and get me the full model number so I can look up the part ?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Can you give me a few minutes to get that for you?

Expert:  Bryan replied 12 months ago.
sure take your time
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

The model number is: GEW9200LW1

Expert:  Bryan replied 12 months ago.
okay perfect, this is the thermal fuse. Thermal Fuse(NNN) NNN-NNNNMain Product Viewits located on the blower assembly. part number 59 on this diagram. remove the panel number 61 on this diagram to access that. heres a link to order it. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Thermal-Fuse/3392519/2986?modelNumber=GEW9200LW1?RCAID=1000065 thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Whirlpool service tech came out and said that the thermal fuse is good. What next?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Relist: Inaccurate answer. The thermal fuse does not appear to be the problem.

Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
Did the tech tell you what the issue is ? he just left after testing that ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

He said that the problem was that the dryer wasn't getting enough power from the 220 volt outlet,

Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
So what was the voltage ? did he tell you ? do you have a volt meter ? do you have fuses or breakers in your home ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I do have a volt meter. The old fuse box was recently replaced with circuit breakers.

Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
okay. can you test voltage ? on the cord where it connects to the dryer test between the center post and each of the outside posts separately and you should get 110 volts on each of them. then take a voltage reading between the two outside posts. you should get 220 . do you ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Give me a few minutes to go over and check that.

Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
okay
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Here's what I found. 123V on one side, 118V on the other.

Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
okay well thats within the parameters . did you test between the two outside posts ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Yes I did, and that looks like 243V

Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
okay theres no under voltage like he said, He lied to you and I would call him back and tell him so. he was either to lazy to check the machine, didn't know what he was doing, or is just a plain thief. sorry.