Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have Whirlpool gas dryer that is fired up for 1-2 minutes

Customer Question

I have Whirlpool gas dryer that is fired up for 1-2 minutes and after that is shut-off,the technician come and seed-bad Bord i replaced but still the same.I check the thermistor,Hi-limit, fuse ,flame sensor the are good,the drum is spinning but won;t heat-what could be the possible problem? Thanks in advance.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for using this service. Please be logged in to rate my assistance when we are done. Rating 3-5 is good, but 1-2 is bad so talk with me first.

Is the flame just going out and then it trys to relight again?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nope the power don't to the safety's at all

So the dryer actually shuts down and the drum stops turning?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No the drum is spinning but the heat don't come on

Ok have you watched it for at least 5 minutes to see if the ignitor glows at all and it retries. It takes a couple minutes to retry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yep i been babe seating for a long time-wont;' fire up in the same day next day is happening the same- fire up for while and shut-of and the drum is spinning but no heat

So the ignitor never glows again at all once it shuts off..ever correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes correct

Ok I would manually jump out the flame sensor and high limits just to make sure they are not causing the issue. You should do this when it is running and not heating with a jumper wire. A meter sometimes will not be accurate with the flame sensor or thermal fuse. Lastly you may have a problem with the relay on the board and would need to replace the main board as suggested. Those are the things that would cause that issue. More often than not you find that when testing something with a meter it tests good, but is bad and you would not know until you physically bypass it with a jumper wire. Also check the resistance of the thermister when it is running. It may be going out of resistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The Bord is new-i been trying with jumpers over the flame sensor and hi-limit and moisture sensor

Forgot about the moisture sensor. Do this. unplug it. Take off the high limit thermal fuse and thermostat wires together. Especially the white thermal fuse behind the blower. Note you have to have the lint blower duct on and in place while testing or your flame will go out within 10-20 secs. If it still does not work carefully try and jump out the flame sensor with a wire to see if that possibly is shot. If it were bad and running with no flame you would get a clunk from the valve the second you jump it. Lastly check the resistance of the thermister while it is running see what ohms you are reading. See if they are steady or not. SHould be around 10K ohms at room temp.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't have mechanical thermostat in the bottom i got the thermal fuse wires,thermistor wires ,flame sensor,HSI and gas valves coils wires

Yes, but you should have a mechanical high limit thermostat mounted to the burner. If not just jump the thermal fuses both of them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I have the high limit thermostat and I have been trying with jumper wire. Do you think the moisture sensor could be the problem, or no?

No nothing with the moisture sensor at all..does not come into play right away. If you are not sure you can always just jump out the moisture sensor and leave it jumped it will think the clothes are wet. Just make sure you have the duct on when doing it as you need to airflow to be correct in order for it to work properly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I disconnected the duct pipe to make sure that there is no problem with the pipe

Ok are you seeing the blower wheel when you are testing it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yep is running and cleaned good

Ok you have to have the duct work on so you do not see that blower wheel. If you do not the flame will only stay on a few secs as it is doing currently. basically everything has to be together minus the bottom kick panel. Otherwise the flame will only stay on a few secs 10-20 then go out on the high limit, which I believe to be the case here.
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience: Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Make sense-the wheel don't pull air thru burner,Thank you so much !!!

OK great!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did everything the way you been told me-stiil the same working for 1-2 minutes and after that shut-off and don't come on again

Have you replaced the thermister?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No-but is reading 8KOms-

Ok do this take the thermister out of the blower housing so it can not get heat and then see if it stays on longer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok i will tray this and i will let you now what happening tomorrow if this is fine with you?

Yeah no problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks-have good night !!!!!

You too talk with you soon.