Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have GE Monogram ZISP480DXASS.....Had problems with items

Customer Question

I have GE Monogram ZISP480DXASS.....Had problems with items freezing in fresh food section, especially in climate control drawer. Also, occasional chattering noise. And to make things worse....we had a storm last night with a power outage. Now freezer does not go below 28 degrees and the chattering is more frequent with another set of a different chattering noise after the original chattering. Before storm, my intention was to change the dampers behind the climate control drawer. What should I do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good afternoon, Okay 2 problems obviously. 1 the damper will need to be replaced with the new redesigned damper. and 2 the chattering is the evaporator fan in the freezer. Evaporator Fan Motor WR60X10185 Main Product View but first open the freezer and take a look at the back wall. is there frost on it ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No frost....in fact everything seems to be defrosting(dripping) and the digital read-out still at 29 degrees

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
mmmm, Okay did you notice where the chartering was comming from ? was it inside or do you think it was a relay on the control board.?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just heard chattering again...and it's coming from back of refrigerator, in the upper portion

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay perfect. you need to check a few things. 1 open the grill at the top and check the condenser fan number 725 on this diagram. see if its making the noise, if not your control board needs to be replaced. number 703. let me know what you think is making the noise.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

when chattering is occurring....no noise from 725.....so this is causing freezer not freezing?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Yes it is, thats the main control board which runs everything, when that fails the whole refrigerator will go down. (it will start defrosting) get a place to put any food fast. this is going to go completely warm overnight.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you my brudda! Will get it replaced.... awesome help!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Aloha

I replaced all that you request I change....and it's been 6 hours since. Temperature started at 72 degrees F, when I turned refrigerator on....and the temp is still 72 degrees inside---no feel of cold inside when checked. What else could be wrong?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

this doesn't show dual compressors so it can be the compressor is the freezer is running okay, the freezer is cold correct ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry just woke up it's 6:23 here in hawaii....the freezer is not cold at all, but the fan is running smoothly in the freezer.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay so the freezer is warm also ? can you tell if the compressor is running ? can you feel it and tell me if its Hot.Warm or Cold ? also is it vibrating ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Freezer is warm....it doesn't look or feel like it's running....no vibration and slight warmth

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a volt meter ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
can you test at the compressor relay for 120 volts ? see if its getting power ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Will do....sorry I'll be dropping daughter to school...be back in a bit.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay talk then.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry took so long.....yes I got voltage to relay

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay and the compressor isn't running correct ? your checking power comming out of the converter to the compressor correct ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Correct....correct

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay thats not a good sine then. if the compressor isn't running and is getting 120 volts to it that means the compressor is bad,thats the worst news you could get I know. your symptoms seamed to have went from freezing things in the refrigerator to not colling at all. its a sealed system problem and would need to be looked at by a tech at this point. sorry to give you that bad news. the chattering must of been the beginning of compressor failure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm having a hard time with the results...not you....just that everything is going down in the house after this storm. And being this refer is an expensive model..it's over-whelming. So I tested from the connector....converter side has power...when reconnected it had a spark. I'm thinking that's confirmation compressor is bad.