Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My kitchen aid refrigerator is getting too cold. Milk, soda

Customer Question

My kitchen aid refrigerator is getting too cold. Milk, soda and other liquids have an ice glaze on them. The digital thermostat on the control panel reads 36 and 0 for freezer. Everything else seems to work well.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 12 months ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Can you open the refrigerator and look on the side wall or the ceiling for the model number on a tag ? thanks. Bryan

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

model # XXXXX KBFA25ERSS

S/N# XXXXX ECS5004748

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

May also be good to note that the storage unit for the water dispenser is freezing solid as well. I have taken it out, thawed and re-installed and it has frozen again.

Expert:  Bryan replied 12 months ago.
Okay perfect. now you say the temp reading are 36 in the refrigerator ? Its obviously not reading the temps correct. these have temp sensors and in your case the one in the refrigerator section is faulty. let me get you some diagrams and I'll be right back
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Yes 36 on the fridge. It says 38 recommended. I also cannot adjust the temp on the control panel. However, if I leave the door open the temp for fridge does change (ex. 42)

Expert:  Bryan replied 12 months ago.
okay so the temp control isn't working either ? you cant adjust it ?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

No, I can't adjust it. But it does change temp when I leave the fridge doors open. Maybe I should put a thermometer in the fridge and compare the temps?

Expert:  Bryan replied 12 months ago.
yes thats a good idea but your main control board is the issue anyway. the thermistors wouldn't stop the temps from being changed the control board will however. Main Control Board 12782036SP Main Product View this is a major failure and only will replacing the board fix the issue.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Does that control board have a part number? Is it a "do-it-yourself" type installation?

Expert:  Bryan replied 12 months ago.
yes and you can replace this yourself. its part number 29 on this diagram.its in the back next to the compressor in a box. heres the part number Manufacturer Number 12782036SP, heres a link to order it also. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Main-Control-Board/12782036SP/1515036?modelNumber=KBFA25ERSS00?RCAID=1000065 hope this helps, thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Thanks. I will follow up if I have any questions.

Expert:  Bryan replied 12 months ago.
come back anytime and I will be glad to help further if needed. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Replaced the control panel, but the panel would not program from the instructions given. Therefore the fridge would not work. Any thoughts?

Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
it wont program with the number off the tag inside the refrigerator?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

correct. the instructions say that the display should read "PE" but mine keeps blinking PE0.

Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
okay what was your code you needed to input ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
0801
Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.

Try this. is this how you tried entering the numbers ?

Press the upper right keypad or lower right keypad (no labels to the right of display) to adjust the number. Press the upper left keypad to move the digit

Press and hold the lower left keypad to save the number and the number will flash, and then hold the water button for 3 seconds to exit.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Those are the instruction i was sent. i could not get them to work. Also your solution did not work either. the lights are still blinking "PE0" for the freezer and "000" for the fridge.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
Boy I'm not sure why that's not working, it should program with the number you put in off the plate. the only thing I'm seeing on that besides what we tried already is the board you received is bad. "that does happen" this should be programing. I would have them send a new board out. can you try your old board back in and see if that works for now?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

The old board works fine. I mentioned earlier in our convo that the control panel was not working. I still feel like this is the problem. Not the main control panel. I am going to call a guy to come look at it. Hopefully I can return the $300 board I purchased.