FixAll
FixAll, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I currently work for one of the largest appliance repair services in the country. I service laundry and kitchen
68072958

I had the same problem with my fridge not cooling, I unplugged

Customer Question

I had the same problem with my fridge not cooling, I unplugged it and after half an hour I restarted it. The Freezer part seems to be cooling but there is a buildup of frost on the bottom back panel. What does this mean ?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  FixAll replied 1 year ago.

FixAll :

Hi thanks for choosing Just Answer, your saying you have frost build up in freezer?

Customer:

Yes, but at least it is cooling now

FixAll :

ok i would have to check on your model nmber to give you the exact part but any frost build up means you have a defrost problem and it will stop cooling again after about 2 days

Customer:

It is very very humid inn the house and it is probably because I have been opening and closing the door to check on it. In addition the ice maker isn't working now either.

FixAll :

yes that is a defrost problem, when you get frost build up it blocks air flow and the cold air cant reach the icemaker well and causes it to stop making ice

Customer:

Kenmore. Model number.....253.44502607

Customer:

So, what do I do now ?

FixAll :

let me check your model

FixAll :

give me a couple minutes

Customer:

okay

FixAll :

how old is the unit?

Customer:

4 years old.

Customer:

I think I will just unplug it and leave it off overnight and let it completely defrost and then try again tomorrow.

FixAll :

Ok yes this has a elecronic defrost

FixAll :

usually the board goes out fairly common problem

Customer:

(I did leave the freezer door ajar the other night)

FixAll :

oh yo udid?

Customer:

yup

FixAll :

completely open?

FixAll :

how long ago?

Customer:

NO! it just was ajar because there was so much stuff in there.

FixAll :

ah ok

Customer:

I guess it was Friday or Saturday night.

FixAll :

ok if thats the case

FixAll :

most likely the defrost system is not able to handle that much frost

Customer:

Right

FixAll :

yes just unplug for 24 hrs and trn back on after 24 hrs and give it another 24 hrs to cool down

FixAll :

will be 48 hrs total to get back to normal

Customer:

Okay.

FixAll :

shold work like new after that

Customer:

I hope so, I am house sitting for friends while they are on vacation and I am trying to get it fixed before they get back.

FixAll :

yes jsut make sure when you turn it back on, both doors ar completely shut no air gaps in seal

FixAll :

and let it cool down with those shut and it will be fine

FixAll, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I currently work for one of the largest appliance repair services in the country. I service laundry and kitchen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks so much!

Expert:  FixAll replied 1 year ago.
no Problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, thanks to your suggestion of turning the fridge off for 24 hours and then on for another 24 hours the fridge is working as normal - except the ice maker is not working now! Do you have a suggestion? I held down the small button as instructed to manually start the icemaker with no result.

Expert:  FixAll replied 1 year ago.
I would give it another 24 hrs on icemaker before i concluded there was another problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That's exactly what I'm doing and already ice is slowly being produced.