FixAll
FixAll, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I currently work for one of the largest appliance repair services in the country. I service laundry and kitchen

ge nautilus gsd 3900l00cc stopped working. Sparks came out

ge nautilus gsd 3900l00cc stopped working. Sparks came out of the bottom while the dishwasher was still in cycle a couple of loud pops and then it just stopped working. The touchpad does not light up and there is still water in it. It will not power back on at all
Category: Appliance
Expert:  FixAll replied 1 year ago.

FixAll :

HI thanks for choosing Just Answer, did these sparks come from underneath the dishwasher or out of the tub?

Customer:

the dishwasher was closed and running in cycle and it was at the bottom of the dishwasher where when you open it there is a crack between the tub and the part you have to unscrew to open

FixAll :

how old is the dishwasher?

Customer:

it was replaced by a warranty service I had less than 5 years ago

FixAll :

would you happen to have the serial number?

Customer:

HL869159B

FixAll :

ok are you able to remove that panel at the bottom?

Customer:

I will attempt give me a sec. :-)

FixAll :

also if you could verify the exact model i saw you included it but i'm trying to rule out any recalls...

Customer:

model#GSD3900L00CC SERIAL HL869159B and I took the panel off the bottom. I see wiring and cob webs

FixAll :

ok i'm not aware of any recalls on this one but it sounds like you have a short in the wiring possibly in the door

FixAll :

only way to verify would be shut the breaker off and take apart the door and check for any burnt wires

FixAll :

you also could check at the junction box where the power comes in to the dishwasher there is a little silver metal box on the right behind that panel you just took off those are the two culprit areas

Customer:

where do I shut the breaker off at the electricity box or on the dishwasher panel

Customer:

also would the heating elements be a reason for the sparks?

FixAll :

its at the electric box

FixAll :

and the heating element could but very unlikely

Customer:

the appliances switch I am guessing since none say dishwasher

FixAll :

unfortunately it could be any of those, alot of houses are not labeled if you have a meter you could test it, to see if its off bt if you dont get the right one your risking gettnig shocked

Customer:

no meter and I definitely don't want to get shocked. I am just worried if I pay a technician to come out they won't be able to repair it and I will still have to buy a new dishwasher.

Customer:

I am just unsure if I should buy a new one or try and get this one repaired

FixAll :

well unless you get a GE tech there is a good chance its unrepairable because of damage to wiring, or it wont be worth fixing, anytime it cuts power completely means you got a major short. At this point i would not recommend paying a tech to come out.

FixAll :

most the time they could fix it but the parts costs will exceed the worth.

FixAll :

usually major short means you ogtta change allthe wiring in whole dishwasher

FixAll :

i cant take you much further on a wiring problem without it getting dangerous

Customer:

okay thank you. If I get a new dishwasher will the wiring issue cause the new one to break too or is it an isolated per dishwasher problem

FixAll :

no this will be jsut in the dishwasher

FixAll :

wiring in your house should be fine

FixAll, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I currently work for one of the largest appliance repair services in the country. I service laundry and kitchen