John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

I have a kitchenAid dishwaster, 12 years old; it doesnt leave

Customer Question

I have a kitchenAid dishwaster, 12 years old; it doesn't leave grease on dishes, but does leave dried on, smallish gritty food particles, probably mostly in top rack. The air release line goes into the garbage disposal.....it runs well otherwise, without any apparent issues...and is very quiet.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.
Hi I,m John I will help you with the d/w problem.
Open the door and send me the model number please .
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

model # kudmo1tjblo

Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.
Have you cleaned the accumulator and the filter ?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

no, where do I find them? (not sure what an accumulator is)

Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.
The accumulator is the number .one in the breakdown .
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Ok, I did remove that -- there really wasn't anything on it...was clean

Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.
Open the door and wipe the front of the tub at the door opening and tell me if it was dirty at that location, if it is dirty it can cause the problem .
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

No, the tub is pretty clean. I don't see any extra debris laying around. Could this have anything to do with garbage disposal -- that replaces the air gap thingie..........

Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.
no, that would not cause the problem , use this dishwasher magic its specially formulated to clean the inner working parts , its surprising how well this product cleans the unit .
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

thx for your help. I also did remove the bottom water wand with the little turn screw. I put it back on and just turned the plastic screw once by hand -- so the wand twirls, but doesn't pop off...is that correct?

Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.
Yes thats correct, the dishwasher magic should fix the problem your having .
John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.
let me know how well the Dishwasher magic worked please.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I just got some....should be trying it today or tomorrow..thx.

Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.
Your welcome have a great weekend .