Rick
Rick, Repair Guy
Experience:  25 years service experience as a technician. Experienced on both high end and regular appliances.
15929851

my whirlpool t8000 trash compactor ram stuck. it took two turns

my whirlpool t8000 trash compactor ram stuck. it took two turns of the power switch to get it to contract. this happened twice previously and was fixed by replacement of the power screws/nuts. when it happened again, my home warranty company sent a technician who didn't know how to take the unit out of the built in compartment. then he replaced the start switch. then he ran the motor manually for an extended period of time...minutes, not seconds....until it smoked and quit. he told the home warranty company that it was a piece of junk and a pre-existing condition so claim was denied. when my husband took the unit apart to retrieve the reusable trash container, he saw the worn power nuts.
1. i believe the worn power nuts were the problem as they were twice previously.
2. the tech sheet with the unit says not to run the motor more than 2 seconds.
3. i contend that there is no way a technician could tell WHEN the power nuts failed.
4. the user manual says the only maintenance the consumer has to do is clean the unit outside and where the trash container is. there are no instructions for the consumer to take the unit apart and grease power nuts.
do you concur with these statements?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

repairguy :

Hello my name isXXXXX will try to address your statements the best I can

repairguy :

First off you know we are not the extended warranty company correct

repairguy :

From what you have experienced in the past and the fact that the power nuts do fail, yes I believe that was your original problem.

repairguy :

As far as number 2 goes, no you are not to run the motor for exteneded periods of time manually, as a technician I would think the person would have known that or at least got a clue when he smelled the motor getting hot

Customer:

yes. i am taking the home warranty company to small claims court for failing to cover my appliance per the terms of the contract. preexisting conditions are covered "if they become inoperative due to normal wear and tear during the term of the contract" " and provided the defect wasn't discovered until after the effective date of the contract and provided the defect would not have been apparent by visual inspection and simple mechanical test prior to the effective date."

repairguy :

3. As a technician he should have been able to tell that the screw or the power nut was a problem, like you said the previous tech knew it was a problem.

repairguy :

4. there is no way any manufacture would expect you to take apart a trash compactor to lube parts, so yes the only maintenance is very basic for the customer.

repairguy :

It sounds like you are in the right here, the problem I see is getting the tech to admit he had done something wrong

Customer:

i can't scroll up to see your answer

repairguy :

I can switch to Q&A for you if you would like it puts it in a email format

Customer:

the tech won't be testifying, but i want a statement from a reputable repairman to confirm my statements to the small claims court. can you give me your qualifications?

repairguy :

I work in St. Louis, MO. I have been repairing appliances from 1988, I am trained on Whirlpool, Kitchen Aid, Maytag, Fisher Paykel, Thermadore, Jenn Air, Dacor, Viking and other smaller named brands. I have repaired dozens of trash compactors over my career, and have yet to cause more of a problem than I solved on the unit. What other credentials are you looking for/

repairguy :

I would ask if it was from a previous repair how come it worked for whatever amount of time between the last repair and now

Customer:

that's just what i needed. may i send you a photo of the power nuts and get your opinion?

Customer:

are you still there? would it work to email you the photo of the power nuts and my questions so you could answer them one by one?

repairguy :

You should be able to attach a copy of the picture right here, and yes I will take a look and comment

repairguy :

Your power nuts are defintely worn, was all the plastic hanging out like that when you discovered them or did it happen when you removed?

Customer:

i first called in the problem on 5/12/11 when the noise started and the ram began sticking. the repairman didn't come out until 7/18/11. during those two months, i continued to use the unit, just turning the switch a 2nd time to get the ram to contract. it was compacting trash. there were newspapers and mail dated july in the trash container when my husband took the unit apart to retrieve the reusable trash container. and yes that's what the screws looked like when he took them out of the unit

repairguy :

I would say you have a pretty good case, I am kind of surprised the warranty company just didnt try to settle, lawsuits are more trouble than they are worth to them. Good Luck, I hope our conversation helps

Customer:

ok, thanks. please confirm that the 4 points i made in my original question are valid.

repairguy :

I did I addressed each one for you, after you have rated me, our whole conversation will show up in a email type forum.. That way you can print the conversation. It is wierd you cant scan up though , I will let IT know

Customer:

i figured out how to scan up. so please confirm that my only indication of whether the unit works or not is whether the ram compresses and contracts without making undue noise and with only one turn of the switch and that until that happened on 5/12/11, i would have had no indication that the unit was not functioning.

Customer:

i also need to ask you about air conditioner failure. is that is your area of expertise?

repairguy :

No you would have no idea that the compactor was starting to go bad until it went bad. I know a little, I do not work on central air, but do window units, but yes I have had the schooling and know the basics. What is your question

Customer:

same issue. central ac stopped blowing cold air. we keep thermostat at 68. it was running at mid 70s. warranty company sent tech who diagnosed evaporator coil leak and recharged system with 7# XXXXX freon saying there was 4# XXXXX freon still in the unit. warranty company denied as preexisting because losing 7# XXXXX freon had to occur over time. i called in the local AC repair company tech who said evaporator coil was fine, there was a pinhole leak in copper tubing outside between the blower the the house. he soldered the leak. added 1.5# XXXXX freon, said prior tech could not have added 7# XXXXX unit holds only 5#. again my contention is that 1. as a consumer the only way i can tell if the AC is working is when it stops blowing cold air. 2. a technician cannot tell from a pressure test when a leak started. 3. the evaporator coil did not have a leak then and is still functioning fine 2 years later so it doesn't have a leak now. 4. the claim should not have been denied as pre-existing. 5. the technician made the wrong diagnosis.

repairguy :

1. you are correct a consumer only knows the unit is not getting cold

repairguy :

2. When doing a pressure test all we can do is find the leak, there is no way to tell when the leak occurred.

repairguy :

3. If after the repair the unit has held freon for 2 years no the evaporator does not have a leak

repairguy :

4. I dont know the criteria for claim rejection, but I am sure my office would have argued that the repair needed to be done

repairguy :

5. Obviously, if the other guy found the leak and repaired it the first tech made a mistake

Customer:

thanks rick. that's what i needed to know. appreciate your help.

repairguy :

Not a problem, please take a moment to rate my answers before you leave, and if you ever need help again please remember Justanswer.com

Customer:

ok, i did that. now i'm waiting to see the answers in my email but nothing yet

repairguy :

i dont know it does not show on my end that you rated me. It has something to do with happy faces on your end, I cant see them on mine. I am also going to swtich us to the Q&A that way it may help you get the email.

Rick, Repair Guy
Experience: 25 years service experience as a technician. Experienced on both high end and regular appliances.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.