Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

LG dryer wont start

Customer Question

LG dryer wont start
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

Randy 43 :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX iam happy to help you with your question today..does it make any noise trying to start? or just dead ? do you have a model number ? thx

Customer:

dle 2301w.. does nothing.... light goes on inside when door opened, otherwise no action at all.

Randy 43 :

does the display come on ?

Customer:

No.

Randy 43 :

you push power and nothing lites up?

Customer:

Correct. push button like normal to begin the setup and nothing happens at all.

Randy 43 :

have you taken the top up ,checked for power or bad connections to the board ?

Customer:

Not yet. Online Repair clinic parts outfit indicated likely door switch or thermal fuse. but I got to thinking that the light worked and since the display did not light up sounded like something else. So I am asking you :-)

Customer:

I can open it up and check for power or bad connections to the board if that is the best way to proceed.

Randy 43 :

those are what i was getting to next , you can pop the top up and check for the obvious connections to the board ,if you have a meter you can confirm the 220 across red-black 120 from red -white and 120 from black - white ...the thermal fuse can kill the dryer , just because the lite works it is a different circuit ..if you dont have a meter you can join the wires on the thermal fuse as a quick test

Randy 43 :

Full Size Image

Randy 43 :

thermal fuse is on the blower housing or heater housing , looks like the pic above

Customer:

I will do that. Thanks.

Randy 43 :

the front of the dryer has to come off ,after lifting the top

Customer:

How do I get back to you if it doesnt work ?

Randy 43 :

just respond back to this question at any time

Randy 43 :

you can bookmark this chat

Customer:

I have the thermal fuse replacement video from Repair Clinic and will proceed to that point and check the fuse.

Customer:

Thanks !

Randy 43 :

ok sounds good

Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Checked continuity of thermal fuse. Continuity is okay with flashlight battery. What to look at next ?

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
flashlight battery ? if your sure it has continuity? ,then the next step would be to check the other fuses on the heating chamber ,high limit thermostat , some of those models also have 2 thermal fuses one on the heating chamber and one on blower housing , you would need to confirm the proper voltages as well just to be sure were not checking things that are ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Continuity is good on what looks like what might be fuse on blower housing. Same for something else downstream from the thermal fuse (highlimit thermostat ?) . Other suggestions ?

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
if all the thermos are good , you dont have any way of confirming the voltage ? if the board is blank you would need to see if it is getting power atleast? if it is then you may have a bad board , if all the fuses check out ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Picked up a multimeter. Confirmed the 220 is good and the continuity responses today. Where to test voltage to see if board bad or further checking of what looks to be other fuse(s) ?

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
yes ,check the other fuses if you havent already , plus are you getting the 120 from each leg to the neutral ? red-white 120volts and black -white 120 volts?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Checked continuity on all fuses located. all okay. checked 120v on each leg......where to check voltage you mentioned previously ?

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
on the board it is pretty tough because they have the quick connect plug ins and you cant get your meter on them, i dont suppose you have a volt pen or glow pen to see if there is power going to the board ? by the harness
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
on the main board ,the black relay in the left corner are you getting power there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I get 52v to the plug that goes into that relay. across the plug...

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
52 volts ac , and you are getting 120 across each leg to the white at the dryer terminal inside the cabinet of the dryer where the dryer plug is joined up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I checked the 220 power at the plug. It is closed inside the cabinet. everything looks tight. pulled on the cord etc and all seems tight.

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
when you say closed ? you cant see on the inside where the dryer wiring meets the plug that terminal block inside? it has pegs on it ,that you can check voltage there again like you did at the outlet ..
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
the reason i ask is because the board will not lite up if the power is incorrect ,or there is a bad connection , there are 2 power lines to heat and the dryer needs the neutral to run other things like the board , lites, motor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not seeing my reply I am resending it:

Yes. there is 120v on each leg to white tested inside the cabinet.

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
the board should lite up ,even with the door switch open , youve checked all the fuses and verified voltage to and inside the dryer ..only thing else is a faulty board , if you get absolutely nothing lighting up?, i would recheck the wiring at the ,unplug and reinsert all the plugs and wiring ,check the harness to the board for any shorting out to the frame ,burn marks , if that all checks out ,then i would say it is a bad board , you have checked everything else
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. I will get a board !

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
just dbl check evertything first , just to be sure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just did. Will let you know how it comes out.

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
ok