Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Im trying to find out why my refer was popping the EFI last

Customer Question

I'm trying to find out why my refer was popping the EFI last night. After disconnecting everything it stopped popping. I put it all back together except for the Ice Maker and Auger and it runs but then you have the clicking. Checked the windings on the compressor, it checked good. There is no rattle from the PTC and has about 6 ohms across the terminals. The only thing I'm not sure about is the overload and this is getting extremely hot.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

This is tripping a GFI breaker ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

It was but after tearing through everything it stopped. I have it all back together now except the Auto Ice Maker, and I have the PTC/Overload out right now.

Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
okay well for one thing never run a refrigerator on a GFI plug its bad for it. GFI's Dont allow enough amperage through them and the compressor can fry. they are made to trip . Now do you have another plug you can run this on ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

It's not plugged directing into the GFI, it's trips the circuit. I had tried it on other sockets with the same results. Each circuit in my house has a GFI somewhere. Like I said though, it runs now but the compressor is not kicking in and the Overload gets very hot.

Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
okay I understand. How old is this ? it looks like quite a few years the relay is even showing NLA
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

At least 15 years old. It sat in storage for 9 years and we got it out 6 years ago so it had very little use until now.

Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
okay this is what you need to do. first I would change the relay assembly with a 3 in one hard start. these have a start capacitor in them that helps the compressor start. these old compressors its best to have a capacitor start on them. this will fix your issue, the compressor is drawing to many amps to start and thats why its over heating the thermal overload. heres a link to order this. http://www.partsdr.com/Parts/3-in-1-start-device-kit-257.cfm?Partner=FroogleTJ90RCO410&gclid=CIq8wKmO07gCFWJp7AodPEQA4Q
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Would this mount somewhere in place of the circuit that is already there? The PTC/Overload?

Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
yes, This replaces both the relay and overload. its much easier on the compressor also and your circuits. these are easy to install also. it comes with instructions and takes about 5 minutes to install.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

The 3 in 1 did not fix the problem. Even though the continuity checks were good, it has to be the bearings.I can hear the compressor start to spin just before it trips the overload. It was a waste of a lot of money, and food.

Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
I'm sorry to hear that,It means the compressor has failed unfortunately, If The 3i n one doesn't keep it running the compressor itself is the issue.We have no way of knowing until you tried that. Thanks and have a nice day, Bryan