Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Sock stuck in washing machine pump

Sock stuck in washing machine pump
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 months ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good afternoon, well theres no way to really prevent this accept using a sock net. these are great and keep smaller items from going over the top of the drum. this usually happens on large loads so doing sock and underwear on say small load. (less water) is another way. they sell the sock mesh nets at lowes if you want to go that route. hope this helps. thanks, Bryan.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Before I put pump on, is there a way to test motor didn't burn out or agitator is good? This part available at home depot or lowes?
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 months ago.
I'm sure the motor is okay , what you can do is go ahead and bypass the lid switch. the you can test this without the pump back on. do you have the whole case off or did you go from underneath to get to the pump ?
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 months ago.
can I ask you why you gave me a poor rating ? thats unfair and goes against my record, is there something i can do to improve that ?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It said okay or better....I hit okay? I'm on phone and no glasses. I hit middle one. Can I go in and fix...
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 months ago.
okay. Did you go from underneath to get to the pump? if so shut the water off and you can tie the pump aside (so it doesn't hit the motor shaft) and put the machine back down and try a spin cycle. it should be fine.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
pulled front casing off. Control board is unplugged and just the tub. Pump was lower front under tub. The cover is completely off
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Whirlpool ultimate care ii. Top loader. Control panel back....front casing completely off. Pump front lower
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 months ago.
okay that means you have to test the motor with the door switch jumped or you could just stick the pump back on and set the case on so you can plug the lid switch in just for a quick test. if this starts up and starts spinning then the motor is fine then you can put it back together, these motors usually don't fail for that reason so I think your fine. thank you for changing your rating and for the bonus. I will be here all afternoon if you need more info. well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Last question and thank you!! Specially on a Sunday. The tub, when cover off has like a two inch black grease look around top. Between outside and in. Washer 7years old...that smudge from over the years, mold? Can I clean? I have photo
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 months ago.
thats soap scum buildup actually. disgusting I know I work on these all the time.theres really only one way to get that off and that remove the tub ring and scrape it loose . thats stuff builds up when the washer spins and the water rides up the side of the outer tub. they sell washing machine cleaner but it doesn't get that so don't waste your money. that top tub ring just unsnaps.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you!!! Only item not answered is where to buoy new pump. Online....home depot, sears. Part number very popular.
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 months ago.
is the pump broke ?this is your pump correct ?

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
I'm so sorry if thats the case you can buy it on line at this link. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Drain-Pump/3363394/3296?RCAID=1000065
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
that was it. Thanks
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 months ago.
your welcome have a nice day and thanks again , Bryan