Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Maytag refrigerator, model msd2356ae side by side. freezer

Maytag refrigerator, model msd2356ae side by side.
freezer door does not shut now and appears the door is jammed all of a sudden. checked all possible shelves touching and they are all clear. I can't believe the top & bottom hinges are possibly sprung because prior to opening freezer door it shut and sealed ok.
refrigerator door side shuts and seals ok.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! If you remove the ice bucket, does the door shut well?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I removed the ice bucket and the door still does not shut.

I can lift up on the hinge side and the door will close, but when I release by hand the door will pop open again.

Woody

Thanks, Woody! On the bottom of the freezer door, on top of the hinge, is a plastic piece that is designed to close the door. It is number 12 in the parts breakdown and pictured below. Is it in good shape or maybe broken or missing?

The number 10 pin also needs to be inspected. Is it worn, too?

Hinge Pin 61003174 Main Product View
If those parts are worn, which I suspect they are, they will allow the door to drop and impede a smooth closure. Both parts are available at the link below.

Hinge Pin Assembly $4.10 <----- CLICK HERE FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

Door Closer $3.95 <----- CLICK HERE FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!