Jason
Jason, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  15yrs experience

I have a Kitchenaide under counter ice maker Model #KUIS18NNTSO.

Customer Question

I have a Kitchenaide under counter ice maker Model #KUIS18NNTSO. I ran it through a scheduled clean cycle and now it is not making ice. Water is freezing over in the rear reservoir.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I will be glad to assist you in your answer. Think about safety when doing repairs, electric, water, gas, ect.

Remove the front white cover that you see when you open the door. There two 1/4" hexheaded screws on the under side of the white cover. After removing them, the cover will remove. This will expose the cutter grid, and the cooling plate behind it. Please let me know if any of the cutter grid wires are broken, and if any water is running of the cooling plate in the back. Thank you

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

wires are intact. no water running of plate. only running into back bin. freezing over top layer in that area

Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.
Reach down into the reservoir, the black pump to the right has a spout on the left bottom side of it point to the left. There should be a tube slid over that spout. Please make sure the tube is on the spout of the pump.....otherwise it will not pump water to the cooling plate. Please let me know....thank you
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Tube is in place

Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.
So tube is in place, but no water is running over the cold plate. There is an "L" shaped cover over that pump. Remove the 1 screw that secures it, and remove cover. Now you can follow the power harness of the pump to the connect or. Check that connector with a volt meter to see if it is getting voltage. It runs on about 12 volts AC. You can stick the prongs right thru the backside of the connector without removing it. This way you can check it running, or not running. Please let me know.....thanks
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.
If the pump is running, do not worry about the voltage check, only do that if it is not running.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

middle wire is off

Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.
is that the harness to the right, middle, or left?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Middle
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.
That is the water sensor, unplug it, and see if the unit starts back up again. That is not needed. It just counts the cycles to tell you to clean. It will not shock you, just reach up there and disconnect it. Please let me know....thanks
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.
So is the black pump that is in the reservoir running, or is it not running?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Not running
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.
Ok, you will have to verify voltage at the harness , follow it up from the motor. If you have voltage there, replace motor, if not, then the control board is faulty. Please let me know what you find, so that I can get you the correct part#. I think the right harness is the motor harness, but not sure....cannot remember. Follow the wires to make sure before testing...Thanks again
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm certain it is the pump that is not working
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.
Ok, if you have voltage to the pump, but still not working, then here is the part you will need. This the whole assembly to replace the pump bracket, and water sensor found broken as well. The part# XXXXX(NNN) NNN-NNNN $141. You can get it at searspartsdirect.com, or your local appliance parts vendor. If no voltage to the pump, then you will need to replace the control board, part# XXXXX , $120. If this information has assisted you, please give a good to great rating. Bonuses are always accepted, you probably saved around $200 using this service, instead of calling a repair person....Thanks again
Jason, Home Appliance Tech
Experience: 15yrs experience
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Where is the control board located
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.
Remove the front white cover when you open the door. Next, unplug, remove side screws holding the cutter grid, and remove. Next there are 4-5 screws hold the white buldged part of the ceiling that the grid was plugged into, when this drops down, the control board will be revealed. Thanks again.