Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a GE Profile microwave oven model PVM2070SM1SS and the

I have a GE Profile microwave oven model PVM2070SM1SS and the touch panel is not responsive. There is power to the panel,it lights up, but it does not activate any command. We tried turnining it off and on, unplugging it but still no change. What could be the issue and how to fix?

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good morning, is the control panel lock light on ? is there a small paddle lock icon lit ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hı- no, cannot see any lock ıcon . Only the command bottons
okay try pressing and holding the Clear/off button in for 5 seconds and see if the panel responds .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just treid to hold it but no response. The actual bottons below for fan or vent work and it shows up on the display panel
Okay . give me a few minutes to pull up some info. this sounds like it in child lock but I need to pull up the info.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks
Okay I have the tech sheets,

You may lock the control panel to prevent the

microwave from being accidentally started or

used by children.

To lock or unlock the controls, press and

hold

OFF for about three seconds. When

the control panel is locked,

CONTROL IS

LOCKED

will be displayed.

this is what it says. is there more than one off button ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, tried to press and hold Off....no Lock is displyed. There is only one Off botton. Others are Help and Home

So far panel is displaying the same info
okay, try pressing home.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Tried Home but no change
okay well we are out of easy options unfortunately. these microwaves are real expensive to repair. your control panel has failed.I'm not sure what you want to do but the control panel assembly is $497.00 ! because this is a touch screen type its outrageous ! how old is this ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It is built it 2007. It is about 4-5 years old. Is there any option on the warranty? Is it possible to open the panel?
I looked at your warranty and its only for one year so that options off the table. opening the control wont help unfortunately. the control panel would need to be replaced. thats an option that is very expensive like I said. there are two options, 1 replace the control or 2 replace the microwave.I wish I had better news. sorry, microwaves have come way down in price and replacing this one is a better option at this point. the magnetron's in these are only good for about 6 years so your most likely close to a failure on that soon also. its like clockwork with the magnetron, I know thats not what you wanted to hear but its better to tell you whats going on and that most likely your going to spend more money on this soon.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you...we tried!
yes and I'm sorry, I have a link to the owners manual in case you want to go over it and make sure I didn't miss anything. heres that link . http://products.geappliances.com/MarketingObjectRetrieval/Dispatcher?RequestType=PDF&Name=49-40568-1.pdf thanks and best wishes, Bryan