John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Type your question here.Disabling an GE profile Refrigerator

Customer Question

Type your question here.Disabling an GE profile Refrigerator Door Alarm?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

do you have a model number ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

PFSS6PKW

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay please stand by.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
could you please open the freezer and look at the back wall is there frost on that panel ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no frost.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay do you know the actual temps in the freezer and refrigerator sections ? use a thermometer if you can don't go by the digital display.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

refrigerator temp is 34'F / Freezer is -1'F

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
can you get a thermometer and place it in the refrigerator section to get a second reading ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i used a thermo read thermometer

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
try pressing and holding the door alarm button is for 3 seconds. does the alarm shut off ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes. but returns seconds later.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

You either have a bad door switch or the refrigerator is slowly climbing in temp. what I would do for now is check the temps in about 1-2 hours and see if they are rising. the alarm shouldn't go off if the temps are fine but parts are expensive for this and I don't want to speculate on a part replacement until we know if the temps are rising. can you do that ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes. is disabling the alarm a option?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
well its part of the control board so if turning it off didn't work you can't disable it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what about disconnecting the speaker?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
you can try that. I'm not sure its the type you can disconnect. it may be built into the board.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok. will monitor temp.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay talk later.