Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert

Hi: Got a 15100 BTU window AC unit today from Lowes in Phoenix.

Hi:
Got a 15100 BTU window AC unit today from Lowes in Phoenix. Installed and running fine. Two questions: The instructions mention "possible internal packing", but seem to indicate it's only on larger models. Mine has some black foam type insulation around several copper tubes on the back left hand side, held in place by a couple of cable ties. Machine is working fine. Should that come off? Also, there's several places around the edges that have some white putty-like stuff. Should that come out? I hate to take it back apart if I don't have to. Is it OK to leave this stuff in place? Thanks! Brian in Phoenix
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 11 months ago.

Randy 43 :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX iam happy to help you with your question today.. yes the black foam is meant to be there it is insulating the heat exchanger ,there is condensation on that line at times , and as far as the putty that is also there to seal out air leaks and moisture ..they are both meant to be on there

Customer:

Thanks Randy. I feel much better! Also, I noticed some water accumulating at the back on the outside at the bottom around some copper tubes. There doesn't seem to be any hole where it drains out. Will it just overflow if it gets too high, or evaporate? Or should I try to poke/drill a hole somewhere? We're usually pretty dry here in Phoenix, but have had high humidity the last few days. No water leaking inside. My angle is good to the outside. I just haven't seen any water come out at all. Just this small amount (a quarter inch) around the copper pipes at the bottom rear. Thanks!

Randy 43 :

yes if you want to drill a small hole it wont hurt anything , just be careful not to hit any copper lines , freon runs thru those lines, it usually evaporates but if it gets really humid you can get some condensation , but a small hole will work

Customer:

Great Randy. Thanks. One more small detail on the black foam - there is a coil of small copper tubing on the left hand side again, that also has some of the black foam around the top of the coil kind of holding it in the coiled shape with a cable tie. That OK to leave as well?

Randy 43 :

yes that is the capilliary tube , leave that coiled up as well , that is supposed to be like that as well ..: )

Customer:

Thanks again Randy. Now I can get some sleep! Have a good night....

Randy 43 :

you too , good luck

Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert