Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert

I have a sears kenmore elite that has stopped working. The

Customer Question

I have a sears kenmore elite that has stopped working. The fan is no longer circulating. I shut off the controls in an attempt to reset but to no avail.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 8 months ago.

Randy 43 :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX iam happy to help you with your question today..do you have a model number? everything works but the fan? thx

Customer:

I have to get the exact model number. Be right back. All electronics seem to be working but I do not hear the compressor cycling.

Randy 43 :

is the compressor warm ? the fan beside it running?

Customer:

Model # XXXXX XXXXX We have also been having trouble with the door seating correctly lately.

Customer:

Isn't the compressor under the fridge in this model?

Randy 43 :

compressor is at the back

Randy 43 :

and there is a fan beside it that cools it down

Customer:

I would have to move the fridge. Be right back if I can move it, i'll check.

Customer:

I cannot move the fridge. It is in a space that I cannot get it out. Too heavy for me to move

Randy 43 :

so which fan were you refering to as not running?one in the freezer?

Customer:

Yes. The one in the freezer that circulates the cold air.

Randy 43 :

is there any frost on the rear panel of the freezer section inside? and you can see that the fan has stopped or you just dont hear it running?

Customer:

There is no frost on the inside of the freezer. I can see that the fan is not running and it seems that the freezer temp is getting warmer. The fridge temp is definitely getting warmer. I do not hear the compressor cycling on/off.

Randy 43 :

but you can hear the compressor at the back running ? it makes a humming noise

Customer:

Let me check and I will be right back.

Customer:

The freezer/fridge is definitely humming.

Randy 43 :

if the compressor is running and you can see the fan not running and there isnt anything blocking the fan from turning ( you can put a small screwdriver in the vents and see if you can turn the blade) it looks like you have a bad fan motor

Randy 43 :

Evaporator Fan Motor(NNN) NNN-NNNNMain Product View
Full Size Image

Randy 43 : Evaporator Fan Motor(NNN) NNN-NNNN

RepairClinic Item #1372146 (OEM Part)

$44.85

Evaporator fan motor

Manufacturer Number(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

More

In Stock

Quantity:

Customer:

And that would definitely make the fridge compartment warmer?

Randy 43 :

yes , that is the only way the air gets into the fridge section ,by that fan it will affect both sections

Customer:

Including the freezer? Excuse my questions but I am just trying to make sure that I am communicating well enough.

Customer:

Also is the fan motor changed from the freezer compartment?

Randy 43 :

yes ,if that fan doesnt run , it will affect both sections , both sections will start to go warm , because you have zero air flow ,and the compressor wont shut off because the fridge is not reaching temperature , no problem with the questions ,this is what i do all day

Randy 43 :

and yes , the fan is changed from the freezer , you remove that rear freezer panel

Customer:

OK. Thanks. This is the first time on the site. What do I do from here?

Randy 43 :

if you are happy . you just rate my answer , and if you have any follow up questions you just repost to this same question

Customer:

OK. Thanks again.

Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert