Jason
Jason, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  15yrs experience
63955563

My refrigerator is just one year old. Today it started making

My refrigerator is just one year old. Today it started making a constant noise whenever we close the dorr. When either door opens, it stops. It seems to be keeping cold but the noise is loud and troubling.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I will be glad to assist you in your answer. Think about safety when doing repairs, electric, water, gas, ect.

Can you please provide the model# XXXXX the data sticker from inside the fridge section please? Also, when the doors are closed, is the noise stronger from the fridge, or freezer section?.....Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The model number is XXXXX It only makes the noise when the doors are closed; stops making noise when the doors are open. I really can't tell if it's the fridge or the freezer part that is making the noise. It seems likes it the motor that is making the noise.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

This has to be a fan issue. But there is one in the fridge, and 2 in the freezer. Please turn the icemaker off, and shut the door. Please let me know if the noise starts again....Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do I turn the icemaker off?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Open left fridge door. Look on the inner part of the door, the will be a latch. Open it to reveal the icemaker. There will be an ON/OFF switch. Turn that switch off., close both doors, and see if sound returns, or not....Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Turned off the ice maker. The sound is still there but MAYBE not as loud. The noise is definitely coming from the refirgerator part.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Ok, there is probably ice hitting the fan in the fridge section. Go ahead and turn the icemaker back on. I would unplug the unit, put food into coolers, and do a complete 24 hr open door defrost to clear all ice in the ducts/fan area. Please give me a good to great rating for answering your question if I have assisted you. This will not close out your question. You can respond back to this question as you have been if you need further assistance until you get back going again.....Thanks again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What happens tomorrow if I start it back up and the noise is still there?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
We will re-verify which section it is coming from, and replace parts needed. If it still comes from the fridge section then you will need to replace the rear panel inside the fridge.....part# XXXXX $178. You can get it at searspartsdirect.com, or your local parts dealer. But, most of the time this is just where ice had built up, and needs to be defrosted. Do not try to remove that rear panel to inspect without defrosting the unit, you will tear the Styrofoam backing, and have to buy that part mentioned period. I hope this helps, and clarifies what is going on....Thanks again
Jason, Home Appliance Tech
Experience: 15yrs experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Update - I didn't turn the ice maker back on while I was waiting for your reply. In the meantime, the noise has stopped. Do you have a different idea on what the probkem might be now?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
If it is a loud fluttering noise coming from the fridge section, it has to be the fan. If it is coming from the freezer section, it still would be a fan hitting ice. It is very common on these units. That is why I would like you to defrost the unit. If you are for sure the noise is coming from the fridge, you can try to see if the rear inside fridge cover will come off.....just do not try to pry it off, the Styrofoam will break apart. If it comes free, you can visually inspect, the fan, and if ice there. If cover will not come off, then defrost. remove screws that you can see, then there will be 2 more in the center hanging bracket, one on top and bottom. There may be a white plastic cover that will need to be popped off to get to the screws. I hope this helps...thanks again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think you are right, we have to defrost. The noise is back. Thank you.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Please do not forget the rating. It helps us experts stay on the site to help people in need.....Please let me know if I can assist you further......thanks again!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Will do,thanks

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

No problem....Thanks again