Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.

I have a whirlpool side by side refrigerator about 7yrs old

I have a whirlpool side by side refrigerator about 7yrs old and it stopped cooling . I cleaned evaporated coils and checked fan and it works fine . Compresser comes on and runs about 30 seconds and I hear thermal overload click and shuts off. The compresser does not seem to be laboring when it starts . Would like your diagnosis before I go purchase a new one.
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

Can you tell me if the fan is blowing next to the compressor?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok Barry thanks, XXXXX XXXXX problem here is the start relay, On the side of the compressor you will see the cover. Unplug the unit then pull the metal clip and the cover off the relay if it has one. Next grab the relay and pull it right off the side of the compressor, disconnect the wires. Now shake the relay, if it rattles like it has small broken pieces inside then the relay is bad and will need to be replaced (a little cheaper then a new refrigerator)

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Hi Barry,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? If you are still having a problem please feel free to come back for additional assistance.

Let me know,