Appl-Tech
Appl-Tech, Service Technician
Experience:  Over twenty seven years in the appliance service business

OK....here I go. I have a Maytag 2007 french door refrigerator,

Customer Question

OK....here I go. I have a Maytag 2007 french door refrigerator, with a bottom freezer. It has the in door a water/ice dispenser. Yesterday, the control panel began flashing and the ice door was opening constantly. I did a thorough search on the internet, and according to what I have been reading, there are forums where consumers have posted the same problems with certain models. There was a list that showed which models have been recalled, and mine was on this list. Some consumers said Maytag was very helpful and would take care of the problem (a $300 repair)....others said they knew nothing about it. We made a call to the suggested phone #, and all they tried to do was sell an extended warranty. Further investigation showed that there are hundreds of complaints about how Maytag blows off their customers. I agree with this, and posted my opinion on the Maytag Facebook page. All we want to do is get our appliance fixed, but don't feel that endless phone calls should be necessary to get a satisfactory result. I realize that today is Saturday, but can you help me? Thank you so muck for your help. Shirley in Menifee, CA

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appl-Tech replied 11 months ago.

Appl-Tech :

Hello, thanks for letting us answer your questions. We appreciate your business!
Can you tell me what kind of information you are requesting?
Do you want to repair this yourself? If so you will need to replace the high voltage control board
located on the back of the machine.

Customer:

No, we cannot do this ourselves....do not have the know how. My question is this......the internet forum support states that the model I have is under recall, yet when we called Maytag, they were of no help. I have posted on their Facebook page, but I wonder if this is going to do any good. Why is there such a great dissatisfaction from consumers with respect to this manufacturer?

Customer:

The repair is around $300, and I feel like I'm going to have to fight to get this done.....what do you suggest?

Appl-Tech :

I had the same problem with one of my customers and I tried to intervene on their behalf to Maytag. The problem you have is , Maytag went out of business and Whirlpool took them over. Whirlpool has been less that cooperative about providing any extended service on these units unless you purchased an extend service contract. That said, even if you had purchased a contract, it would be unlikely that you would have been able to afford it for a unit made in 2007. They keep going up in price every year after expiration. This is is not a bad job unless you or another just don't want to try it. The board is located in the back and basically you just have to swap the wires from the old to the new board.

Customer:

My better half just stepped out of the house, so I am not able to ask him at the moment. Is this something we can continue with later?

Customer:

How much will a new board cost?

Appl-Tech :

what is the model number. it is on a label inside the food section.

Customer:

I'm showing MFI2568AEB

Appl-Tech :

thx

Customer:

When I click on this link, then what?

Appl-Tech :

it shows you the part and cost

Appl-Tech :

at least it should

Appl-Tech :

does it work?

Customer:

Have not tried to click yet....I'm afraid I might lose this page....

Appl-Tech :

you will not, you can also right click on it and open in a new tab

Customer:

Hold on, please.....

Appl-Tech :

they a money back guarantee also, even on electric parts . Even I don't offer that

Customer:

Ok.....it shows $240. As I said, my guy stepped out, so can this conversation be continued at a later time?

Appl-Tech :

sure, just hit the save and exit button on the bottom of the page after you rate my help
Please rate my help as positive for JA and I can still answer any follow up questions you may have
if you still need help.
Thanks for letting me be of service today

Customer:

Thank you so much. If we decided to continue, we can just pick up where we leave off? Sorry, but I'm not too computer savy.....

Appl-Tech :

yes, after rating my help, you will get an email to continue the conversation

Customer:

Ok, thank you very much for your assistance today. You have been very helpful.

Appl-Tech :

you are very welcome please come back for any help

Appl-Tech, Service Technician
Experience: Over twenty seven years in the appliance service business
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hello....I'm passing this info on. After finding a Maytag Facebook page and reading consumer views, I posted my situation, using a rather irritated tone. Long story short, Maytag called me, and they have replaced the voltage board at no cost. It's a good feeling to know that when necessary, one can still move mountains!! Thank you again for your assistance.

Thanks for the feedback, it is very appreciated. I am glad they replaced it for you at no charge.