Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Regarding a Viking VGRT536-4Q. The unit was stored and vermin

Customer Question

Regarding a Viking VGRT536-4Q. The unit was stored and vermin got inside and left some surprises and I must disassemble the unit and clean it. I can't figure out how to remove the front panel to continue disassembling the unit. What's the trick?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is Kelly and I look forward to helping you! The front panel should come off once the screws behind the knobs have been removed. This should allow full access to the inside. Have you removed those screws behind the knobs and the knob rings?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, those have been removed and as I mentioned, the front panel will lift up as it might be in a "keyway" but I can't get it to release. By the way, I've got a chop on the grill. Will you be available in 20 min so I can eat dinner?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Of course, just reply when you can. Can you post a picture of the front so I can see what you see when you are done?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for waiting. I just finished dinner and I'll take a couple of pictures and send them along. Be back with you in a few minutes with the pics.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delayed response, we lost power for a bit. Thunderstorms in the area here. The burners need to come off so the top drip pans can be removed. There should be a couple screws that secure them in place but I cannot see them in the pictures. I think they are at the bottom of the holes that are beside the hole in the center of the burner but can't remember exactly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I believe you are correct. There are two hex screws in the center of the burner. I tried removing those (which was no problem), but the burner would not come off. If I can get the burners off and then the drip pan, I should be able to clean the entire interior of the unit without removing the front panel. Can you give me further instruction on removing the burners? Anyway, thanks for your help so far, but it is nearly my bedtime. Can we finish this later...tomorrow?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Of course, I will be on around 9 AM, MST. The burners are likely stuck on with food particles that have gotten under them and maybe a soak overnight with cleaner around the edges would be of value.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Kelly, I'll email you tomorrow with additional pictures. I do appreciate your help.

Regards

Al Brillman

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
You bet! Have a great evening, Al!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning Kelly, attached are a couple of pics. Do I remove the hex screws and pry the cast piece from the drip pan? Also, once this is cleaned, is there an easy way of converting the unit from LP to NG? If that question requires another deposit, just let me know.

Thanks

Al

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Good morning, Al! Thanks for the picture. Once those screws are removed, the burner assembly should just lift off, yes. You will need to disconnect the igniter wire to totally remove it. As far as conversion, you will need to change the orifices for each burner and change the gas regulator to accommodate NG pressure. There is usually a plug inside that will flip around to change the fuel selection once the nut is removed from the regulator.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX to work on that and keep you informed.

Al

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good, I will be here most of the day.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Kelly, hope you're enjoying your afternoon. I've attached a few more pics just to show you where I'm at with this project. The more I remove, the more I find that needs to be removed for more cleaning...I just hope I can get the thing back together again. (fingers are crossed)! As a matter of reference a couple of the pics show the "keyway" attachment for the front panel which I was trying to describe in the beginning. Finally, regarding the pressure valve the pics show what I found. There doesn't seem to be anything I can flip. Any other ideas? (I just tried to attach the pics and the program wouldn't let me.) I'll try it again if you like.

Thanks so much, your help is immeasurable.

Al

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
You can upload them to www.photobucket.com and send me the link, if you wish. The site is having issues with uploads today and they are working on it. If the regulator is not convertible, it will need to be replaced. Some Vikings are fuel specific and cannot be converted, too.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Let's see if this works.

http://s1328.photobucket.com/user/uwbadger78/library/?view=recent&page=1

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Wow, you got it apart! Nice work! The little plastic black piece on the nut flips over for LP. It should say HG on one side and LP on the other.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Quite a project, huh? Man! You are the greatest!! The little black piece said LP on one end and NAT on the other...I flipped it and that step is now complete. I'll order new orifices and that should complete the conversion. The rest is a matter of further dis-assembly and cleaning and of course putting it back together.

Again, THANKS! for all your help. I should be able to take it from here. If curiosity takes over, let me know and I update you next week.

Best Regards

Al

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good, keep me posted! Very nice work, you have your hands full!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the followup Kelly. I've ordered the conversion orifices for NG but they anticipate 3 weeks for delivery. Things are moving along well with cleaning and reassembly. The latest issue is the cleaning of the steel top which has also been a nightmare. I found crusted/burnt material under the burner bases and I've been trying to get that removed so the burner bases will seal to the cooktop. Been using de-greasers and BBQ cleaner. Since it's basically carbon, I was thinking of using Carburetor Cleaner. Also, the burner bases themselves need cleaning...any thoughts? Finally, (and I think this is the last issue), I discovered quite a bit of oil/grease oozing from the grill burner. As we speak it's soaking in hot soapy water. I'm hoping that will do it, or do you think I should just replace it? Anyway, again thanks for the followup....hope you have a great day.

Best Regards

Al Brillman

PS - Keep the posts going and I'll let you know my progress. Hoping to get the steel top in place today.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like you have your hands full! I think the burner can be cleaned out, but it will take some persistence. I think a few soaks in hot soapy water should do well. Let me know how it goes!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Will do - I'll try to remember to send you a follow-up at the end of the day.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
No worries, I will check in with you in a couple of days. I am always interested in hearing the final outcome!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Completely reassembled. No extra parts.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Still waiting on NG Orifices.

Thanks Kelly

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Very nice! That looks new! You did a great job, that should be a treat to cook on now!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Again Kelly, Thanks for all your help. If you like, shoot me an email in a couple of weeks and I'll let you know how the conversion went (after the orifice change). If I don't hear from you, please know that I am extremely satisfied and appreciative of your help. You are the best!!

Best Regards,

Al

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Kelly,

Not sure if you remember me but we worked on my Viking VGRT 536 Range and I finally have it installed. But now I have another issue and I was wondering if you might be able to help. The box is installed and is level but the steel plate (and burners/grates) are not....they fall about 3/16" to the front which makes frying anything a challenge. I spoke with Viking (Andrew Mathis) and he told me that was how the unit was designed per the technical service department... I think the rep must have been about 18 years old....very frustrating as he couldn't answer how I was supposed to fry an egg.

I have photos to show you but am arguing with PhotoBucket. We can certainly open a new question so I can compensate you for your time.

I hope this link will show you the pictures.

http://s1328.photobucket.com/user/uwbadger78/library/Installed%20Viking%20Range

Please let me know.

Thanks

Al Brillman XXX-XXX-XXXX

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Yes, this very high end cooktop is designed so your egg will cook in a lump at the front of the pan.

Register Here

Have a look at the picture I marked below. There is a drop in the unit but the trim does not. Something is up with the positioning of the cooktop.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read your response...it would have ended up coming out of my nose. LOL

Inasmuch as the burners are attached to the plate through the orifice location/mounting brackets, my guess is that the underlying brackets need to be raised at the front. I seem to remember that the front of those brackets fit in a slot (I could be wrong). Does it actually just lie on top of the framing? I'll pull the front off and see what I can find and let you know. It may be tomorrow, but thanks for getting back with me.

Regards,

Al

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
LOL! I cannot remember how those are put together specifically, but even though the trim is level, the cooktop obviously drops. There has to be something out of place. I will see if I can find some better info for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just love the fact that the Customer Rep suggested that it was designed that way. I'll be in touch.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Yeah, that's a definite case of, "I want you off the phone because I have more fun things waiting for me." Pretty sad.....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

HI Kelly,

I'm back at it. I have the front of the unit removed and by all accounts, the reassembly was done properly. The steel plate is resting on the gas orifice mounting bracket and the gas orifice mounting bracket is screwed/bolted to the cross (back to front) framing member. The framing member is properly resting and secured at the back and the front of the member is resting in the slot created to receive the member. (Hope this makes sense). Any ideas? Can you get your hands on an assemble drawing?

As always, I appreciate your help.

Regards

Al

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Can you see why the trim is not seated flush with the cooktop in the front?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can see that the trim is firmly seated to the frame and box. As I look from the front (down the trim panel) I can see a single support piece on which the cooktop rests and is covered by the trim. http://s1328.photobucket.com/user/uwbadger78/library/Viking%20Range%20End%20View

One thought would be to shim the front of the steel plate at the framing, but If I raise the front of the steel plate it lifts the midpoint off the bracket....plus the burner will not seat tightly to the orifice mounting bracket.

Hoping you can think of something.

Al

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Wow, that is odd. I have an email into a colleague that may have a manual but they are very difficult to get. I will post what I find.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Kelly, I'll wait to hear from you.

Enjoy your evening.

Al

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
You too, thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Morning Kelly,

Any luck?

Al

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I still have not heard back from him, I sent another email. Hopeful to hear something today.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Kelly!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
You bet, sorry this is taking so long. Viking information is very difficult to get!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Any luck yet? I'm thinking of pulling the unit and investigating if there is way of elevating the front of the frame (thereby leveling the steel plate and burners) while keeping the "box" level. Your thoughts.

Regards

Al

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I have not had a reply yet, I am very sorry. I have sent another email and will also open your question so all others can see it in case someone has information they can add.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Kelly! I'll wait a couple of days and see what the group can come up with. Still hard for me to accept that Viking would consider this as proper design.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Regards

Al

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning Kelly, any luck?

Let me know.

Thanks

Al

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I have given up on that source but did talk to a Viking engineer. The only thing he had was that during disassembly, it was not put back together correctly if the reveal is off, which we kind of know. I found a manual for a different series cooktop, but I am not sure it will help. I can send you the link to it if you want to have a look, though.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That would be great, at least I can give it a try....the framing and box might be close. We'll see.

Thanks for all your help Kelly, I really appreciate it. I probably won't be able to get to the disassembly/assembly until next week, but I'll let you know what I find once I have the thing apart.

Again, THANKS!

Al

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The one I found is below. I didn't think it looked real helpful but you may find something in it.

CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You were right, not much there but thanks for your effort. As I mentioned, at this point I'm just going to break it down again and rebuild it. The hard part to understand is as I reassembled last time it was like a simple puzzle....it could only fit together one way. I'll just do what I have to in order to make things level. I'll keep you informed.

Thanks

Al

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I am still trying but Viking is not a friendly company unless you do warranty for them....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That's kind of what I figured.....hard to dance with the 800 lb gorilla!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Indeed! I am in Montana and there is only one Viking tech here that I know, very few Viking products here. Unfortunately, he is unwilling to help unless a service call is scheduled....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Does he want to fly to Wisconsin? I pay the service call but not the travel expenses... ;)

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
It is difficult to get him to do calls in BIllings where he is at! There are several bad reviews on his service quality....lol.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Kelly,

I removed and disassembled the unit. Clearly the front frame on which the steel plate rests, was not at the same elevation as the back....(this is all structural framing for the cooktop). I drilled new mounting holes for the front framing member and reassembled the unit. It's level now....go figure.

The unit is back in place and working fine. Is this kind of thing typical of Viking manufacturing? Should I try to register a complaint to a higher authority or just move on with my life?

Thanks Kelly for all your help,,,(or at least attempts);)

Best regards,

Al

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
It is odd that it was not unlevel to begin with. That is not typical with Viking products, they are a very high quality product. As for complaint, I would not invest any time in it myself, but that is just my opinion. I suspect it would fall on deaf ears given the age of the unit. Besides, what if you get the same guy you originally talked to that likes lopsided eggs?!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I agree, it probably would fall on deaf ears. The unit was off 5/16th" from back to front.

Anyway, again thank you Kelly....this has been an interesting ride! Now,LET'S FRY SOME EGGS!!

Best Regards,

Al

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Have a great Sunday! Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You too....Go Packers, Go!!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Al! I hope this message finds you well. I was finally able to get the manual for your cooktop! It is available below. Please don;t rate again or you will be charged again. I just wanted to make sure you had it, even if you don't need it at this point. Have a Merry Christmas!

CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Once again Kelly, you are the greatest!! Thank you so much! Even though my unit is a sealed burner, most of the information is very helpful. Really, I can't thank you enough.

You also have a Merry Christmas and stay warm and healthy!!

Best Regards,

Al

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
That is the only thing close, if I find closer, I will post it, too! :-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Again!!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome.