Rick
Rick, Repair Guy
Experience:  25 years service experience as a technician. Experienced on both high end and regular appliances.

bOSCH 4structedAP05UC WILL NOT DRAIN, how can I access the

Customer Question

bOSCH 4structedAP05UC WILL NOT DRAIN, how can I access the impeller to see if it is obstructed?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Rick replied 12 months ago.

repairguy :

hello my name isXXXXX will assist you

repairguy :

The only way to get to the impeller on the drain pump is to remove the drain pump

repairguy :

I would recommend removing as much water as possible, as it is going to all come out when you pull the pump

Customer :

Hi Rick.

repairguy :

First step remove the water

Customer :

Water removed.

repairguy :

second remove the kick plate

Customer :

Is this plate the one that includes the filter...it is out and all water removed.

repairguy :

then look just above the base of the unit and you will see a white hose running across the bottom, this hose moves real easy so just move it out of your way, then you will see the pump with two wire going to it

repairguy :

no on the outside of the unit, the kickplate covers the area where the water and electric hooks up

Customer :

Rick,

Customer :

I have to remove the kick plate that is at the OUTSIDE bottom of the unit...give me a few minutes

repairguy :

ok no problem I will be here

Customer :

Plate removed, tight space but see the pump and wires.

repairguy :

if you remove the outer door panel you can make more room for your self, after it comes off there is another panel across the front that you can remove and that give you another 5 or 6 inches of work space

repairguy :

That is how you check the impeller.

repairguy :

I would start the unit, since the first thing it does is try to drain you will be able to verify now if it is even trying to drain

Customer :

Ok....give me a few minutes.

repairguy :

just let me know

Customer :

Cannot get door off readily...but there is a bunch of screws that I can undo...should I go ahead?

repairguy :

If you need the room that is your only choice, yes I think you will have to remove something like 11 tork screws to remove the outer panel

Customer :

Let me find the right screw diver.

Customer :

OK 12 screws off...lots of space..

repairguy :

once you get the pump out let me know

Customer :

OK I will try....is it held by screws or by pressure locks?

repairguy :

there is a little tab towards the top push it down and twist

Customer :

OK I can get the bottom plastic housing off the motor and can lift up the top housing to expose the motor, but that's it. IS the motor the actual pump or am I messing with the wrong unit. The plastic hose leads away from the tub and goes behind a plastic plate which doesn't seem to be moveable.

repairguy :

can you give me the full model number off the tag on the side of the door?

repairguy :

I will see if I can get you a picture

Customer :

Model SHE4AP05UC purchased June 26 2011

repairguy :

put number 611332 into a google search and it will show you what a drain pump looks like

repairguy :

I need to log off for about a hour, do you mind if we take a break?

Customer :

OK I will go to GOOGLE

repairguy :

I will log on the minute i get home , so if you have any questions in between just type them and I will respond asap

Customer :

I have removed the impeller (water pump) together with the attached motor.

Customer :

The rotor turns OK...I do not understand why there was a drain problem.

Customer :

Waiting for your instructions.

Customer :

Allan

Customer :

Got it and have removed it together with the attached motor.

repairguy :

Sorry for the delay, I am back

repairguy :

Do you have a volt meter?

Customer :

I am not the expert, but a reasonable explanation is that the pump motor is shot and to get a new one for $32 is a solution...please advise.

Customer :

I have a volt meter!

repairguy :

I do believe that the pump could be bad, but usually if I am working on the unit after I have done everything you have I reinstall the pump and then activate it and test to make sure it is getting 120 volts

repairguy :

if you have 120v and the pump is still not draining, then yes I would order a new pump and install it

Customer :

OK will reinstall and look for 120v. Question where do find the points to test for 120v? There is just too many wires.

Customer :

Turned the machine on and wait and see if drains..if not I will get another pump.

repairguy :

Where the two wires attach to the pump is where you test for voltage, just put a lead on each terminal

Customer :

Thanks for your help.

repairguy :

you are welcome, if you would please rate my answers before you leave it would be greatly appreciated

Rick, Repair Guy
Experience: 25 years service experience as a technician. Experienced on both high end and regular appliances.