Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

30" all fridge Viking, ice build up on back panel causing water

30" all fridge Viking, ice build up on back panel causing water to drip all over. What is the cause of this ice buildup?
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

Basically your defrost system has failed, this is allowing the unit to build up frost and ice because the defrost cycle is not happening, The potential causes are the defrost heater being bad or the defrost sensor.

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Should I try turning the unit off, then turning it back on to see if it resets itself?

You can defrost the unit for 24 hours but the problem will eventually return, you would need to replace the faulty part (heater or sensor) or if you don't feel comfortable doing the repair yourself hire a tech to do the repair. This is not a expensive repair, would cost roughly $150 if you hire someone.

Thanks!

Mike.