Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

on our maytag legacy top load washer we are having a problem

on our maytag legacy top load washer we are having a problem with the drum spinning very slowly on the rinse and spin cycle. The water drains out but it is not spinning fast enough to dry the clothes.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 months ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Can you get us the model number so we can better assist you ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

here is the model number MAV408DAWW

Expert:  Bryan replied 8 months ago.
Okay perfect, What you need is the Washer Transmission pulley , thrust washer, and bearing repair kit. If the washer does not spin the bearing may be worn and it will cause a slow or no spin, Drive Pulley 12002213 Main Product View this look difficult but its really not and comes with instructions. heres a link to order the kit. its around $45.00 , http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Drive-Pulley/12002213/1042142?modelNumber=MAV408DAWW?RCAID=1000065 this will take care of your issue. thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

OK THANK YOU. I HAVE A LOCAL STORE TO GET THE KIT. I'LL REPLY BACK AFTER I REPLACE IT.

Expert:  Bryan replied 8 months ago.
Okay no problem. that should take care of it as long as your belt is good . make sure your belt isn't glazed over and slipping. just because its not broke doesn't mean its not slipping. make sure you take it off and check it.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I've replaced the kit and the tub still will not spin. Could it be something in the braking or the transmission itself?

Expert:  Bryan replied 8 months ago.
did you check the belt to make sure its not glazed and slipping ? tip the machine back again and turn the pulley by hand. does the tub spin by hand ?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Belt is good. Everything runs when it is turned on, belts and pulleys are working. The shaft is spinning. Even by hand the tub does not spin.

What do you think? Thanks for the assistance.

Expert:  Bryan replied 8 months ago.
are you trying to spin the tub from the inside or from underneath ? you cant spin the outer drum form the inside, the pulley you just put on will ride up the helix and unlock the brake when you turn it from underneath thats the only way the brake unlocks.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Is there any way to tell if the transmission has failed other than the drum isn't spinning?

Expert:  Bryan replied 8 months ago.
well if you turn that from underneath counter clockwise and the drum won spin its definitely the transmission. the problem is these transmissions the brake it spring load and needs special tools to remove. The transmission isn't cheap either. $280.00.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

If we turn the pulley counter clockwise should both the agitator and the drum both turn at the same time?

Expert:  Bryan replied 8 months ago.

yes it will. I believe its counter clockwise. "been a while since Ive done one. the pulley will pull the center shaft down if your going the right way.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

OK, no matter which way we turn the pulley, the center shaft is not pulling down.

Does that mean that the break is locked/engaged and that is why

the drum is not turning?

Expert:  Bryan replied 8 months ago.
yes it does. that shaft should pull down to unlock the brake. It sounds like you brake has broken. thats not good news , you would need a tech with the tools to replace that. its dangerous and spring loaded. they can fly apart and kill you or hurt you seriously. Please don't attempt that yourself.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.