Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

I have a Jenn-Air mo.SVE47600BC. The oven does not reach bake

I have a Jenn-Air mo.SVE47600BC. The oven does not reach bake temps.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

Since I am inviting you back to do any of these, do not use a 1 or 2 rating or this will likely NOT help you get a satisfactory answer. It will delay our task, and it tends to be depressing for the expert trying to help you, often right at the beginning of the exchange, before we have accomplished our task.

I know the rating system is somewhat complicated, but you do not have to do a negative rating in order not to pay or to get your deposit back.

In addition, a negative rating only serves to rate the expert doing his/her utmost to help you. The expert also will not get paid under these circumstances.

Negative ratings do not cover site problems, delays, or anything else on the site that might annoy you, as experts are only involved in trying to answer your questions.

Negative ratings do not cover posts that do not come through, or any other difficulties...experts face those just as you do. This includes frustrations that you might have had before meeting your expert.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction. But, it is up to your honor to click a smiley face and make sure that I am compensated for my time and effort. Please realize we are only compensated PER smiley per click and from bonuses, so extensive time with you would hopefully stimulate your consideration of this aspect of the system.

Do you have 120 volts across the 2 terminals on the element?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
You are suppose to have 240 volts there, not 120 volts, have you checked your breakers to the unti, you are missing 1 leg of the 240 volts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I tested the volts I had one terminal of the meter on ground and one to the bake terminal. There was 120V at each bake terminal. I'm guessing I should have had a meter terminal on each bake terminal at the same time?

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Also you want to take the element itself out of the circuit. and measure across the wires...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So, if I'm getting only 120V with the element out of the circuit, I should look to the breaker first for 240V? If that's the problem I can fix that easy. If the source isn't the problem where should I look next? The bake element has continuity and reads 19.9 ohms.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
If it is not at the breaker the problem, then look at the outlet that you plug the unit into..

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating. . .

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just to continue a little, If the power is fine at the plug, which part is the problem on the range if there is only 120V to the element?

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
make sure that where the plug is wired to the range is okay also

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So, between the terminal block and the element (same question)?

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Yes that also, but check the wires from the plug to the range to make sure they didn't burn off on the terminal block
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I understand, But which part on the range is going be causing the problem if everything is good to the terminal block ?

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Trace the wires from the termianl block to the relay boards, if they are good then your problem is going to be the relay boards on the back of the unit...

Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech