Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a model LA5700XK. The wash/rinse/spin cycles are not

I have a model LA5700XK. The wash/rinse/spin cycles are not working properly - not following the sequence on the dial. Sometimes it will wash and drain, but not spin unless you go to a different cycle on the dial to see if it will spin there... Sometimes it will not drain, etc, etc. Seems like maybe the contacts in the control module are out of sinc? Or worn, damaged or sticking.
It will run, so seems like the timer is not bad. Will seldom if ever run through a complete wash/rinse/spin cycle on any of the fabric settings. Really frustrating to try to use it this way. Any ideas ? Thank you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! When it does not spin, does it sit quietly until you come move the dial? If you select a spin cycle and start it and lift the lid and gently set it back down, does it spin?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

**When it does not spin, does it sit quietly until you come move the dial?

yes, when it does not spin it sits quietly until I move the dial. Usually what happens is you set it on a wash cycle and it will wash but not drain or spin - just sits there until the dial moves to the end of the cycle. So to get it to work, you put it on wash cycle until it stops the wash, then move it to another cycle to get it to empty, then move it to another cycle to get it to spin.

**If you select a spin cycle and start it and lift the lid and gently set it back down, does it spin?

Most of the time - I'd have to try it. The switch that it activated by lowing the lid seems to work ok....

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, so the timer does advance to the end of the cycle, even though it does not spin, correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the timer goes to the end of the cycle.

It will wash, then not do anything but dial keeps moving to end of cycle. The put it on another cycle and it will drain and then sit there and do nothing til the end of that cycle, then put it on delicate and it will spin.

(spin cycle is short so you have to spin 2 - 3 times to get clothes dry enough to put in dryer) Yes, when it's spinning it will stop when you open the lid and start again when you lower the lid.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! The contacts in the timer are faulty. This timer is no longer available as new but there is a place that will likely have a used one. I have posted their information below.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Good Stuff Appliance

(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks - that's kind of what I suspected. Do you have any idea about how much that would cost ? (to see if it's worth fixing - otherwise everything works very well).... and, I am somewhat mechanically and electrically inclined so is this usually something the owner could do ? I hate to call in and pay a tech if I can avoid it. Thanks a lot !

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
You can easily install it, you simply turn the knob counterclockwise to get it off. Then, remove the back from the timer console to access connections. A used timer will probably run about $35, so it may be worth repairing if the rest is still working. However, the belt drive was discontinued in 1984, so that machine is around 30 years old or more.
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!