Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.

After self-clean cycle in oven, it wont heat. GE profile

Customer Question

After self-clean cycle in oven, it won't heat. GE profile
wall oven jkp17
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is Mike, I will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

Can you give me a moment to look up that model number please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks for that Leslie.

Your problem is likely that the thermal cut off blew while on the self clean cycle or at the end of it. The thermal cut off is located inside the aperture behind the control panel as shown below in the schematic I have supplied.

Take the control panel off then pull the wires off the thermal cut off, test it with a ohm meter, if as I suspect it reads open it should be replaced.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

I would like to earn your highest rating Leslie, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Mike,

The schematic shows the heat limit is NO which I believe is normally open. I assume we actually want a normally closed heat limit that will pop at a certain temperature. Testing currently shows open. I traced the wires and believe it should be NC for the elements to heat up.

I know just enough to get myself in trouble. :-) The heat limit does not indicate either NO or NC. I am running to the part store right now to pick up the part. It is only $25 so it is worth the test.

What are your thoughts?

Leslie
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
The limits should all read continuity, they are a safety device that is supposed to blow like a fuse, You may be reading NO as normally open but it does not mean that. If it reads open replace it, you have found your problem :)

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Mike,

We put in the new heat limit sensor and turned on the oven. No luck. We turned the breaker on, put it to broiled on high, and 30 seconds later it went back to the clock. The broiler heating element did get hot. I tried the oven and got the same results. I out it is 250 then 30 seconds later it showed 100 and then off.

I sure hopes that was it. Do have anything else I should check?

Leslie
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok sounds like you have a bad power relay on the control board :(

Unfortunately the control board will need to be replaced.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Mike,

In your opinion, do you think it would be better to get a new oven or replace the board? I don't know how much the boards cost, yet. Just wondering.

Thanks,

Leslie
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Can you give me a minute to look up the part number
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok after looking up the part it is no longer available, Your only options at this point would be to either have the old control repaired or to buy a new oven any way, I have included a link below where you can have the old control repaired if you choose to go that route.

Click here

Thanks!

Mike.