Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

washer gives SD code

Customer Question

washer gives SD code
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

SD error is a suds error. do you have the full model number so I can look up your washer ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

M#WTW7340XW0

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Okay perfect, the first thing you need to do is check the drain pump. does the machine still have water in it ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have checked the drain pump their is not any water that i can see

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay this is from the whirlpool tech site .

Sd

is displayed when the machine/motor control, by analyzing drag on the basket, detects a suds-lock condition, and is steady

on while the control then runs a mini-clean out cycle. If the clean out cycle is unable to correct the over-sudsing problem, the

cycle ends and

Sd flashes in the display. This may signify:

Excessive detergent usage.

Basket cannot engage during drain step.

Mechanical friction on drive mechanism, not allowing basket to engage.

sounds like there suds under the drum causing drag on the inner tub.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

how can this problem be corrected

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
First you should remove the wash plate from inside the tub. heres a video on how to replace the basket drive hub which is under the wash plate. you can at least see how to get the wash plate out. check for anything under that. you may have a small sock or something dragging on the tub. video you may need to replace the basket drive hub if nothing is found. you can order it at that link also.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

if this dose not work how can i reach you again. i have pulled the wash plate there is not any thing there. i do not trust you answer after the last tech said it was control board

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
You replaced the control board ? Appliance Doc had you do that ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay . mmmm , I need to read through the previous posts. give me a little bit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
from what I'm reading you tried the pump and drain system and they work, you replaced the control and still have the same issue. theres not a lot left accept the hub kit and the drive motor/RPS sensor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

where is the drive motor sensor located

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
this is the RPS sensor. Rotor Position Sensor W10178988 Main Product Viewits mounted on the stator assembly. Stator Assembly W10419333 Main Product Viewhere a video to show you how to change the stator which also show the RPS sensor. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Stator-Assembly/W10419333/2027892?modelNumber=WTW7340XW0
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you for your time i still want to know how to get in toch with you if this dose not work

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
just save this to your favorites and sign back in. any replies to me go directly to me. thanks and best wishes. Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
NP.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

I have replaced basket assembly and rps sensor still sd code

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

please respond

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

i guess you are not going to respomd

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

hello Pro Tech were areyou

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is Kelly and I look forward to helping you! I am sorry you have had so much trouble with your machine. Just so you know, I do not expect you to rate me to pay, I just want to see that you get your problem taken care of.

The SD code means that the control "sees" that the water was not expelled in the correct amount of time and displays to avoid a flood situation. There is a small tube that runs from the bottom of the outer tub to the electronic control at the top of the machine. As the water level increases, it sends air up that tube and the pressure change is read by the control and the control reacts accordingly. When the water is pumped from the machine, the air pressure changes once again and the control reacts according to the pressure change. So, if the control does not "see" that the pressure change has not decreased after the drain pump has run, it displays that SD code you are now seeing. So, we need to determine if the air pressure did actually decrease and the control just missed it or if it actually did not change as it should. If the water is draining out and you can see that, then we know the pump is doing its job. So, we would then need to be sure the tube from the tub to the control is clear and able to allow the air pressure to move freely as the water level changes. This can be easily accomplished by loosening the screws at the base of the machine control panel in the back of the machine. Once loose, the panel will lift and hinge forward, allowing full access to the control. Once accessed, you will see the small tube attached to the control (pictured below) and can remove it for testing. Blow through that hose and see if air easily passes. If it does, we then know that the water is indeed draining and the pressure tube is clear. So, the control may not be reacting correctly, the tub may not be dropping as it should be or the tub can't move as it should move. Have you verified that the pressure tube is clear and air easily passes?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

yes i have done that air passes easily

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

ihave done that air passes easly

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
At this point you have verified all mechanical processes are happening as they should. I would recommend replacing the control. It is very unlikely that a new control would be faulty, but at this point we have eliminated or replaced all other potential causes. The control is available below.

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

Control <----- CLICK HERE FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

i have replaced control

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
I understand but feel that to be the only thing that can be causing your issue. The control should have a one year warranty, so I would request they replace it under warranty.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

okay thank you very much

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
You are very welcome. Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Kelly i have replaced the control board for the second time still same problem. wednesday oc/ t2/2013

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
You have got to be kidding me?! There is nothing else that can be causing this issue if all the other things have checked out as you say they have. You are seeing no suds in the tub at all?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

no suds at all the machine runs thru cycle til 3 min.left and runs for maybe another 5 minutes gives sd code and runs for a little longer then clears it starts to refill and stops flashing 3 minutes with water in tub

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
So it is not pumping the water out? I thought it would pump out fine.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

sir it pumps out water with 3 minutes left on timer tub clear of water then

it gives sd cod code no water in tub the washer runs more and cleaeing code and starts to refill and stops flashing 3minutes with a small amout of water in tub flashing 3 minutes

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
Can you watch it when it pumps out and see if the water flow remains strong and steady?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

yes water floe remains strong and steady iran the machine thru cycle again this time it went to3 minutes give sd code and did not clear not water in tub

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
Something is impeding the drain. Can you remove the drain pump and inspect the internal area, especially the area where the hose is connected to the outer tub, please?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

okay i will do that and get back to you shortly

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

okay sir i removed drain pump all hose and connections are clear of any impedense also i can see nothing in bottom of outer tub

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
Is the impeller on the pump tight or is it wobbly?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

it is not wobbly maybe a little restriction when you turn it because you are truing it

but it moves easy also it continues to run with three minutes left on timer and sd code no water in tub

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
How about the hose itself. Anything in there at all?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

no there is nothing i can blow thru it easy

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
I am out of ideas. I suspect an intermittent issue with the pump, but have nothing to suggest other than replace the pump.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Sir i thank you are guessing this is a new pump when washer first started doing this i replaced pump control board washer basket assembly rps sensor and now at your suggestion i have replaced control board for second time i think you should admit that you are stumped

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
I have already done that. You have told me the water is not pumping out, is pumping out, not pumping out....

I will open your question back up for others to see.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

the water is pumping out thank you for your help if i get machine going i will let you know what the problem was so you have it for future reference please refer my to other techs

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
Thank you