Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

1998 Frigidaire Side by Side. Compressor running. Air fans

Customer Question

1998 Frigidaire Side by Side. Compressor running. Air fans running. Condenser fan running, surface brushed clean. No frost on evaporator. Refrig and freezer areas cleaned out. Refrig and freezer hand temperature controls full on. Operating motor sounds normal. Operated overnight. Temperature at evaporator 60 degree this AM. Put hand on pump motor. Felt internal vibration. Whats the fix, if any? This unit last serviced by me Oct 17, 2010 with the help of Barry G. from Just Answer. Replaced defrost thermostat.

This message sent by Loren Neff. [email protected] 9:52, 07/27/2013.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good morning. I just sent Barry a message, he hasn't replied yet. So your sure the compressor is running ? Make sure its not the condenser fan vibration you feel. is the compressor Hot, Warm or cold ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When I checked for running vibration it was after I had the unit shut down for a while. I can restart and let it run for a while and check again. How long must I let it run?

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay what I would do if you can is unplug the condenser fan (the one next to the compressor) and then plug the refrigerator in. that eliminates any noise or vibration from the fan. do you hear any clicking or buzzing about every two to three minutes comming from the compressor ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I stopped the compressor fan with a stick. The compressor motor ran smoothly. Can't find the connection for the compressor fan. Can I hold it stopped for two or three minutes to listen for clicking or buzzing?

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
well if you cant unplug the compressor fan thats okay just leave it running, just plug the refrigerator in and listen for about 5 minutes in the back and see if you hear anything click or buzz.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

More than five minutes. No click or buzz . Motor is running smooth , warm but not too hot to touch. Line to evaporator is cooler than room temperature. Fan air from evaporator is 65 degrees.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay do you have the rear panel inside the freezer out ? can you see the evaporator coils ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes. I had brush cleaned them.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
okay inside or outside ? I need you to open the freezer and look at the back wall. thats the panel I need out .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Done. Panel off. Ice at input to evaporator coil but coil itself is not cold.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Oh Okay thats not good. this is a sealed system problem . IE either its low on freon or theres a compressor issue. either way this time you would need an appliance tech with an HVAC license to check the freon and compressor. I would let it run with that cover out of the freezer for a couple of hours. if the rest of the coils don't frost you will need a tech. sorry for the bad news.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have your answer. 13 year old machine. I may find it better to buy a new one. Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Thats probably a good idea, I was just outlining your options. Sometimes its best to replace than repair. It could run up to $600.0 to repair. thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Hello, This is a courtesy follow up,Is there anything else your expert can assist you with ? Did He or She help to resolve your issue?If you still need help just reply and they will continue to assist you. All of us at Just Answer hope your experience was a positive one ! Just Answer prides itself on doing it's very best to help our customer's resolve their problems. If your expert has helped you and your satisfied please don't forget that the expert is working for you and only gets paid if you rate them 3 or above on our rating scale. Rating the expert does not close the question and they are always available for follow ups at no additional charge ! If you feel your expert has done all he or she could to resolve your problem then please remember to rate them, They don't receive credit for helping you until you rate them 3 or above. This is as important to them as it is to you , Showing good faith by rating them also makes other experts want to help you in the future no matter what the category. Thank you and we hope you will continue to let us help you in the future. It has been our pleasure.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

thank you.