Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech

we just had a brand new roper dryer i hooked up the 3 wires

we just had a brand new roper dryer i hooked up the 3 wires the correct way push the start button the motor hummed so i tryed to turn it by hand the idler pully fell off. so we called lowes and they brought a new one the very next day hooked it up the same thing the motor hums for a few second like 30-40 then a click noise and it wont start back up for a minute or so. since both dryers started the same way i replaced the 30amp dubble pull but still the same thing. so i then turned it by hand the dryer starts but keeps wanting to shut off any suggestions? model number is XXXXX

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

Since I am inviting you back to do any of these, do not use a 1 or 2 rating or this will likely NOT help you get a satisfactory answer. It will delay our task, and it tends to be depressing for the expert trying to help you, often right at the beginning of the exchange, before we have accomplished our task.

I know the rating system is somewhat complicated, but you do not have to do a negative rating in order not to pay or to get your deposit back.

In addition, a negative rating only serves to rate the expert doing his/her utmost to help you. The expert also will not get paid under these circumstances.

Negative ratings do not cover site problems, delays, or anything else on the site that might annoy you, as experts are only involved in trying to answer your questions.

Negative ratings do not cover posts that do not come through, or any other difficulties...experts face those just as you do. This includes frustrations that you might have had before meeting your expert.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction. But, it is up to your honor to click a smiley face and make sure that I am compensated for my time and effort. Please realize we are only compensated PER smiley per click and from bonuses, so extensive time with you would hopefully stimulate your consideration of this aspect of the system.

How many AMPs is the unit pulling when you try to start it?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

that i am not sure as i currently do not have a multi meter handy Smile

When you say you wired it correctly, are you sure that the outlet it plugs into is correctly wired?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it is a direct wire no outlet

I wish you had a meter to check the voltages from the middle terminal to the outer terminals, I have a feeling you have a bad ground on the unit.. Reason being that ROPER has been using the same motors on their dryers for years, and for 2 in a row to have the same problem is really unlikely. You should 120 volts from the outside terminal to the middle terminal 120 volts and 240 volts on the outside ones... I know you replaced the breaker however it could be the ground wire causing this problem...

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating. . .

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

you talking a bad ground in the unit itself or a bad ground in the breaker box cause i checked the ground in the breaker and its good

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

The middle wire coming from the dryer to the breaker box could be bad not allowing the 120 volts to come through properly making it only hum when you try to start it...

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so would drying to replace the wire be a good option ?

Register Here

Yes it would, however it would be cheaper to buy a multi meter and check for voltage drop first.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

okay Chas thank you i will probably get both as the old dryer needed a hand push on the drum to start. as it was 20 years old or so i figured it was the motor but it did it for a few years. so the wire is probably bad but i need a new multi meter anyway thanks for your time

Have a great day