Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

have a brand new dryer that starts then stops after about 5

have a brand new dryer that starts then stops after about 5 seconds, any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

appliance Doc :

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

appliance Doc :

Can you re-start the dryer right away when it stops? Or do you need to wait a bit

Customer:

need to wait a few minutes

appliance Doc :

OK so this is a common problem and it means that your dryer power cord isn't hooked up correctly. The motor is getting 220 volts instead of the 110 volts it needs. You need to check the power cord and make sure the neutral wire goes to the center post and the 2 outside posts have 110 volts between the outside post and the center post as well as 220 volts between the two outside posts.

Customer:

o.k will try to replug it

Customer:

unplugged the dryer then plugged it back in again no change. stopped again

appliance Doc :

No, I didn't say you need to unplug the dryer and plug it back in----the power cord isn't connected correctly. The wiring from your power cord needs to be changed up.

Customer:

brand new dryer and cord needs to be changed?

appliance Doc :

the dryer doesn't come with a cord. That is connected by an installer or yourself.

appliance Doc :

And whoever did it apparently did it incorrectly

Customer:

cord came connected to dryer from frigidaire

appliance Doc :

Is this a gas dryer? If it's electric, then it did not someone installed it

Customer:

electric clothes dryer and came out of box with cord attached

appliance Doc :

regardless---it's still connected incorrectly or your outlet is wired wrong. There is no other answer.

Customer:

outlet worked before. so guess cord is done wrong

appliance Doc :

Aye, then I would say that's the case as well.

Customer:

will see

appliance Doc :

Yes, you will

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.