Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

my brand new Viking drawer microwave wont open by itself.......

Customer Question

my brand new Viking drawer microwave wont open by itself....... how do I reset it so it will open and close on its own
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon :

Hello

Jon :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized Viking service tech and I can try to help you today. Do you have the full model and serial number found inside the microwave? This way I can get you the most accurate information for your model machine.

Customer :

Viking DrawerMicro Oven, DMOD241SS

Jon :

Thank you for that info. let me check it now.

Jon :

How oldis your machine?

Jon :

sorry

Customer :

I have set the time per the instructions and when I press the "open" button it just beeps and doesn't open

Jon :

meant how old is your machine?

Customer :

brand new

Jon :

ok. gotcha.

Jon :

do this for me please

Jon :

hit and hold the cancel button for ten seconds then let go. then hit the open button. does the drawer open?

Customer :

I don't have a cancel button.......... I have a "stop/clear" button?

Jon :

yes, sorry. please hit the clear button for ten seconds then let go. then hit the open button without hitting any time or any other button. just the open button.

Customer :

this is a drawer microwave. tried holding "stop/clear"

Jon :

and let me know what it does.

Customer :

tried your suggestion, no good

Jon :

ok. the drawer didnt open? what does it say in the display?

Customer :

I tried unplugging and no good

Customer :

now its says "demo", but I followed the directions earlier for making sure it wasn't in demo mode.

Jon :

ok. that is what i thought it might say. the machine is in a demo mode in which the lights will light up and control buttons will beep but nothing will happen. at least it shouldnt. we need to get it out of demo mode.

Customer :

now I have re-followed the directions for turning demo mode off

Customer :

and it says its not in demo mode.........

Jon :

do you have the user manual with you now? what were the steps listed in the manual to exit demo mode?

Jon :

you just said it says demo in the display, right? if so, its in a demo mode

Customer :

hit "setup/help" til it says "demo" then "off?" and then hit "start", so its not in demo mode now.

Jon :

ok. when it is out of demo mode what is in the display now?

Customer :

just says the time

Jon :

ok. good.

Jon :

now if you were just to hit open, the drawer will not open?

Customer :

I can start the microwave, set the timer, just cant get it to open

Customer :

yes, it just beeps and doesn't do anything

Jon :

ok. so has it ever opened for you?

Customer :

if I gently pull on it, it will open and the light will come on........

Customer :

then if I hit close, it will beep but nothing will happen

Jon :

ok. it seems as if the door track and slide is malfunctioning. and possibly the motor as well.

Jon :

when the door opens after gently pulling on it, does it feel like the drawer is getting help up?

Jon :

if you look under the drawer while it is open, do you see any packing and shipping material that could be in the way? sometimes the installers will not remove all the shipping material after installing it and this could cause the drawer to not open properly.

Customer :

no packing materials, as I slide drawer out it feels like its connected to some sort of drive.... its not loose and free

Jon :

ok. that drive you feel is the motor drive/ slide for the drawer. the motor could possibly be the issue. especially if you gently pull on it and it opens. at this point if the machine is new and under a year old, call Viking and they will send some one out to you to fix the problem. It is under warranty. and If any unauthorized person damages the microwave they will void the warranty. Which means you will be responsible for cost of repair.

Jon :

and for these machines it is certainly costly to repair.

Jon :

do you have vikings customer service number?

Customer :

yes, the are closed until Monday......... I will call them.

Jon :

do you have any other questions or concerns for this machine now?

Customer :

no

Jon :

yes. unfortunately they dont have weekend hours.

Jon :

call them monday morning and they will take care of everything for you. If you need more help please feel free to come back to me here and I will help you more.

Jon :

i know it seems as if we didnt accomplish much here tonight but there is not much else to do for this problem.

Jon :

if you feel that I have helped to answer your questions please remember to positively rate my performance below with ok service or better rating.

Jon :

if you feel that I didnt help you please dont rate negatively. either come back to me here and tell me why and how I could help you more or simply dont leave a rating.

Jon :

But please realize that with your model machine being under warranty, and trying the steps we tried already to fix the door, you really cant do much more without taking the drawer and microwave out and appart to get to the drive motor. And if you do so, again it will void the warranty.

Jon :

Which I dont want to see happen to you. To fix this kind of issue you are looking at a parts and labor cost of more then $300.So please just give Viking a call monday morning and they will take care of it for you.