Appl-Tech
Appl-Tech, Service Technician
Experience:  Over twenty seven years in the appliance service business
69602385

I have a GE reverse osmosis system under my sink. How do I

I have a GE reverse osmosis system under my sink. How do I know the RO portion needs changing? Do I change it when ever I change my filters? It is a 10 gal system.
Even after I change all new filters and RO, it doesn't seem to deliver more than A GALLON MAX.
Any ideas? Thanks, JIM
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appl-Tech replied 1 year ago.

Appl-Tech :

Hello, thanks for letting us answer your questions. We appreciate your business!

Appl-Tech :

I am a little confused on your question as you state that you replaced the RO, but I will assume you meant something else.
The RO cartridge should be changed every 2 yrs

Customer:

I have always changed the RO when I change the filter. I was asking if I need to do that and how to tell if it needs changing?

Customer:

Even after I change all new filters and RO, it doesn't seem to deliver more than A GALLON MAX. Any ideas?

Appl-Tech :

So , you have changed all the filters?

Customer:

I have in the past. I am getting ready to change them again and it prompted one of my questions to you. The RO's are expensive and I don't want to change them if not needed every time.

Appl-Tech :

How long has i been since you replaced the RO cartridge? The carbon block and pre filter need to be changed more often depending on how much water you are drawing.

Appl-Tech :

If you have changed all the filters and you still get low flow, then I would check your supply line to the filter. Many times you can get a restriction at the valve that feed the system.

Appl-Tech :

did you have any other questions?

Appl-Tech :

if not may I ask that you please rate my help to you as positve for JA

Appl-Tech :

Thankyou very much for the opportunity to help you

Customer:

The unit seems to run off a lot of water through the by-pass.wouldnt that indicate that it is getting enough water?

Customer:

The unit sends a lot of water to the drain. wouldn't that indicate that the unit was getting enough water? Does a lot of by pass down the drain indicate that the filters are clogged or that the tank is filled

Customer:

thanks

Appl-Tech :

I would think that the R/O component is getting plugged and bypassing water

Appl-Tech :

That is if you have replaced the prefilter and post filter.

Appl-Tech :

Hi Jim
Were you able to replace the RO unit?
As I said GE recommends every 2 yrs depending on water consumption.
If you do not have any more questions, may I please ask you for a positive rating for help you.
Thanks for the opportunity to help you out

Appl-Tech, Service Technician
Experience: Over twenty seven years in the appliance service business