Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.

amana radar range heard a sizzling and it went dead

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized Maytag and Whirlpool service technician and I can try to help you today. If you still need it?

What is the full model number of the range? If you have a model with a bottom drawer it would be found just behind the drawer on the front frame of the range. Please open the drawer and take a look and list the full model and serial numbers here so I can get you the most accurate and model specific information.

And when coming back to me here with that model and serial info please also let me know if you have a multi meter or ac/dc volt meter to do some voltage checking with? This way we can be sure to find the exact problem with your machine.

Thank you and I hope to hear back from you soon. I look forward to helping you fix this range in the quickest and cheapest way possible.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jon, I do have a multimeter the model # XXXXX XXXXX and 2 # XXXXX

P1319504M and XXXXXXXXXX

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Don,

Thank you for getting back to me here with the model and serial info. Give me two minutes to look up your range.

When I return in a few minutes I will list some steps for you to take to diagnose the problems you are having in your range. Once we know the issues we can then begin fixing them. And if you are able and comfortable doing the repairs yourself I can tell you how to make them. And if we need parts I can also tell you where to get them cheaply on line and have them sent out to you.

If you have any questions at any time please feel free to get back to me here and I will continue helping you.

Let me look up your model. be right back.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Don,

The model number you gave me is for a microwave. I thought you said above that your machine was a range?

If not, then I am sorry. Just wanted to make sure we are speaking about the same machine. Please let me know that the machine you are speaking about is in fact a microwave?

If so, and you heard a sizzle and now you don't have any function to the microwave and the control board doesn't even light up then we will first need to unplug the microwave. Then remove the two or so screws just above the top front vent cover. Then pull the top vent grill cover off. You may need to open the door to remove the cover. With the cover off we will need to first check the main fuse to the microwave for continuity.
If the fuse is bad then power will stop there and not reach the computer or other components to the microwave. So again, with power off to the microwave and the microwave unplugged and discharged find the fuse sent just behind the right side of the vent cover, usually just above the control board, and remove it from the fuse holder and check with your meter set to continuity. If your fuse is bad it will not show continuity and would be reason why the machine doesn't even light up when plugged in. If it is bad then we need to replace this first with another 20 amp microwave bus fuse found at any hardware store or home depot store nearest you.
if the fuse is good then next check the other end of the power cord. Follow the end of the cord you plug into the outlet back to the machine. You will find it comes into the top cabinet of the machine and comes down into the microwave cabinet from there. Where it comes into the machine you will need to again remove the terminals and check the cord for continuity. If the cord is bad then again it will show no continuity and will need to be replaced. If it is good then next check the door switches just behind the control panel. Again, check them with continuity and get back to me here and tell me what you find. But I can tell you this, if the fuse is good along with the power cord, the sizzle you heard was most likely the control board itself. And will need to be replaced if you still don't have any lights to it. And if the fuse was bad, then just replace that first and go from there. I see that most times the fuse is the cause for all the failure in your machine. And it can be fixed very cheaply.

Please run those checks and get back to me here with what you find. And for your convenience the most common parts that fail on your machine have been listed below. If the parts you need are listed there just go the below website or call the following number to order parts.

Fuse part #(NNN) NNN-NNNN$30
PC Board part # XXXXX $215

Please also know that if the fuse is not damaged and the cause for the failure in your machine it may be hard to find the parts you need. Your machine is an older one and has been discontinued. Which will usually mean that most of the parts along with it have been discontinued. So what ever stock the nearest appliance parts store have will be it.
So if you find the fuse is good and the cord is good as well then it is recommended that you just replace the machine with another more energy efficient newer one. Especially since the parts are going to be extremely hard to find.

Please get back to me here again if you have any other questions or concerns and I will help you more. And please remember to rate my performance positively below with ok service or better below this chat so that I may get credit from the website for helping you. And if you have still have more questions, even after positively rating me, please feel free to come back to me here at any time and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks.

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK I will try all that hopefully tomorrow. THX Don

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Don,

You are welcome for the help. That is what I am here for. Just get back to me here when you have a minute to work on the machine and I will help you more.

And again, please realize that if this is in fact a microwave and the fuse and cord turn out to be good it will be very difficult to find the parts you need to fix your machine. And will most likely be better for you to purchase another one.

Thanks again and talk you soon.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Don,

Thank you for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.

Should you have more questions or concerns with this machine please get back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks.
Jon, Appliance Technician