Appl-Tech
Appl-Tech, Service Technician
Experience:  Over twenty seven years in the appliance service business

Kenmore DW Leakingmodel XXXXXXXXXXX at beginning of cycle

Kenmore DW Leaking model 5 8 7 1 6 1 4 9 4 0 3 at beginning of cycle water is leaking from the rubber disk of the drain pump. The drain pump is new and of course it is switched off at the beginning of the cycle. Is the main pump/motor forcing water out toward the drain??? What is going on with this unit? What the function of that rubber disk in that other tube (not connected to anything.?) Is it a vent? Thank you, Michael

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appl-Tech replied 1 year ago.

Appl-Tech :

Hello, thanks for letting us answer your questions. We appreciate your business!

Customer:

hi

Appl-Tech :

I need some clarification on the rubber disk you are describing.
Are you referring to the rubber disk inside the discharge side of the drain pump?

Appl-Tech :

Hi Sawtooth!

Appl-Tech :

Take a look at the picture on Sear.com of your machine. Then we can be on the same page
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Kenmore-Parts/Dishwasher-Parts/Model-58716149403/0582/0130000/R0705003/00004

Customer:

there is a rubber hose with two clamps that connects the tub to the pump. there is also a black tub 2 inches long that goes off the pump at a 45 degree angle. Nothing connects to it and it has a rubber disk inserted in the end. the disk has three small holes in it.

Appl-Tech :

That sounds like the backwash check disk that is located inside the pump discharge . Is this part located on the hose that leads to the house drain?

Appl-Tech :

Where is the machine leaking water?

Customer:

there are 2 tubes on the pump, one that connects to the tub. The other one doesn't connect to anything. It goes up at a 45 degree angle and has the rubber disk in the end. I assume it lets air in? I wonder if we can find a close up of the pump....or I will have to take a picture for you. The water is coming out of that tube, from the rubber disk. But this is a new pump

Appl-Tech :

On the picture there is a tube labled #54. Is that the short tube you are describing?

Appl-Tech :

click on the link i gave you

Customer:

there is a zoom on the main diagram; I see the tube, which they show going up at a 90 degree angle

Customer:

They show it as black with a white band on it

Appl-Tech :

Is this a new install?

Customer:

so I could say it is perpendicular to the inlet that the hose connects to

Customer:

not a new install.

Customer:

I haven't used it much and did have it out to use in a different location for a little while.

Appl-Tech :

Full Size Image

Appl-Tech :

can you see the picture?

Customer:

the tube is the one that is coming out towards us....the disk is inside of it

Appl-Tech :

That is the pump discharge. Water shoots out of that port when the pump runs. You must have misplaced the drain hose that goes to the sink drain. You need to find the drain hose and attach it to that port and run it to you drain. Find or order the drain hose and you will be back in operation.

Appl-Tech :

You will drain all the water in the machine onto your floor with the setup you have now.

Customer:

Hmmmm, for some reason I connected the drain hose to another tube. I will look at it again. It is probably that simple. I most be loosing it. What is the disk for?

Customer:

does it keep drain water from going back toward the dishwasher...backwash?

Appl-Tech :

Full Size Image

Appl-Tech :

here is the part you need

Appl-Tech :

this is a special hose, you need to order it from Sears

Customer:

I have the drain line, I just have it connected incorrectly :(

Appl-Tech :

Click here

Customer:

I will look at it again....thank you...for now

Appl-Tech :

Did you have any other questions?

Appl-Tech :

Once you get the hose attached to the pump it will work fine.

Customer:

I hope not. I have another machine which I will ask you sep question later on

Appl-Tech :

May I ask that you rate my help as positive for JA tonight?
Thanks

Appl-Tech, Service Technician
Experience: Over twenty seven years in the appliance service business
Expert:  Appl-Tech replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.