Appl-Tech
Appl-Tech, Service Technician
Experience:  Over twenty seven years in the appliance service business

lg clothes washer needs repair

lg clothes washer needs repair
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appl-Tech replied 8 months ago.

Appl-Tech :

Hello, thanks for letting us answer your questions. We appreciate your business!

Customer:

hey

Appl-Tech :

The most likely problem is the bolt has come loose on the main shaft on the back of the machine.
You need to pull the machine out and remove the back cover. Then get a wrench and check the big bolt on the back the the main shaft. It is right in the middle when you get the cover off.

Customer:

I took off the back cover already. I checked it by hand and it seems tight. The lock washer looks sucked down still. SHould I get a wrench and check it?

Appl-Tech :

If that seems to help, you will need to remove the bolt and pull the disk off and check the gear spline inside the big disk. It is plastic and if it is damaged, you will be able to rock the disk side to side. Try now to see if it moves. It should not.

Customer:

I will check and get back. It may take a few.

Appl-Tech :

no problem

Customer:

Looks like the bearing behind that metal drum on the back is shot to hell. the cover is off the bearing and looks like everything is covered in bearing grease.

Appl-Tech :

Are there oil stain and metal filings

Appl-Tech :

If you turn the inner drum, does it make a rumbling sound?

Customer:

lots of oil stains. I can see the ball bearings as the cover of the bearing came off

Customer:

I will check.You mean in the back of the washer or from inside

Appl-Tech :

Thats a bad problem, but very common. I am seeing this on all the front loaders lately. The main water seal has failed and the oil is being washed out of the main drum bearing. This is not a problem you can repair. The whole outer drum needs to be replaced and that is the only way LG offers the bearing and seal. I had to be the bearer of bad news, but it looks like you will need a new washer. You could try to take it up with LG but, if the machine is more than 3 or 4 yrs old, they most likely will not offer you anything. Sorry

Customer:

Yeah it is about 3 yrs. Just for kicks I need to ask. Could it just be the bearing that needs replacing. Why do you think it's the main water seal? What do you think it would cost to repair if you are correct

Customer:

Don't see much water, just grease caked all over

Appl-Tech :

The bearing are shot, because the main seal has failed allowing water to come out the back of the washer

Appl-Tech :

It does not leak like a water leak, it just lets water and detergent enter the bearing housing

Customer:

Gotcha. Ideas for cost for a repair like this? If I need to get a new one would you recommend one brand over another or should I go with a HE upright?

Appl-Tech :

repair would be about 500-550

Customer:

Ouch

Appl-Tech :

i get that question 5x a day and to be honest I am not sure there are any good machines left. The top loaders are just ans bad. The manuffacturers are really cutting corners on quality in my opinion. I have this same problem on a customer whilpool upright after 18 months. And Whirpool told him to fly a kite if he did not have an extended service contract.
Hows that for customer service?

Customer:

That's pretty disheartening. So just get the least expensive one with an extended contract sounds like a plan. Least expensive :) They all cost a fortune.

Appl-Tech :

If you want a top loader, I would now only suggest a Speed Queen. It seems they are the only company that kept the old design with a mechanical transmission with belts and such, The way they used to be made.

Customer:

I like the front loader, but I also want it to last more than 3 yrs

Appl-Tech :

All the machine other than that one, are water conserving models that are not worth the plastic they are made of.

Appl-Tech :

Check out the Speed queen

Appl-Tech :

It used to be the old Amana washer

Customer:

ok I will. Thank you! You have been very helpful. One last question. I assume these repairs would not be at all covered for parts with LG's 10 yr warranty on the motor, stator, rotor

Appl-Tech :

No that is correct. They would never give you a warranty you could collect on LOL

Customer:

Thank you for your help. I will give good feedback. Have a nice night.

Appl-Tech :

Thankyou and have a nice night too

Appl-Tech, Service Technician
Experience: Over twenty seven years in the appliance service business
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Could you tell me what parts I would need to replace to fix the problem if I did tackle it myself. Is it just the outer drum assembly as you said briefly earlier assuming everything else looks ok inside? Or would I need to replace the inner drum and the rear spider and shaft for drum too. Someone else on here in an old message that the inner would need to be replaced too or else it would leak. The outer is about $150. The spider and shaft is $90. If I was sure that was all I would take it all apart and see that I could put a new one in myself. I am pretty handy. Thanks

You need to replace the outer drum at least. Once you have it apart you can determine if the shaft and spider are damaged. The inner parts don't always need to be replaced. Only If they are damaged. I would suggest that you get it taken apart first to see if you can get it apart. Many times the shaft is frozen onto th rear bearing and you can't get the inner tub out of the outer tub.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Wow. Taking that thing apart looks like a beast of a job. Thanks again for the help. Went out and bought a new unit for 2x what it would have cost me just for the spline and outer drum which it probably would have needed. Lowes had a 5 yr warranty for about $100 which based on my recent experience seemed like a good idea. You were right, it just was not worth it to fix. Thanks again!

No need to reply. I will keep you in mind when I need more appliance help!

Thanks for the feed back and you are very welcome.