Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Frigidaire side by side refrigator, model #FRS20ZRGW6

I have a Frigidaire side by side refrigator, model #FRS20ZRGW6 (discontinued model) that is not getting cold. It is cool on both sides but not cold. The fan is running, the compressor is getting hot, and the lines are cool but not cold. What could be the problem?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Can you pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer to expose the silver evaporator coils? Can you tell me if there is any frost on these coils and if so what it looks like?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes there is frost and it is all over the coils and heavy, almost like ice

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK that is what i thought. This frost build up means that your refrigerator isn't defrosting anymore. You'll need to use a hair dryer and thaw all the frost out. This will allow the air to circulate properly and the refrigerator and freezer will cool down again. But that will only last for a week or two before it goes back to the same problem. If you have a multimeter, you need to test continuity through the heater (along the bottom of the frost) and through the defrost thermostat (clipped onto the top of the silver coils). If either part doesn't have continuity, then replace it. if you don't have a multimeter, I'd replace the defrost thermostat with is the 1" round device clipped onto the top of the silver coils because it tends to fail often.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I cleaned the back of the refrigator it was pretty dirty with dog hair, dust, etc... I will be honest I just did not think about pulling it out and cleaning back there. Would all that dirt cause this problem? I can get a multimeter tomorrow to check out the continuity. Should I turn the refrigator off to deice the coil?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
That dirt would not cause this problem, but it's a good thing to clean it all out. That can ruin your compressor over time.

As for thawing out the frost--yes, unplug the refrigerator while defrosting the ice.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.