Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My refridgerator has an automatic ice dispenser that doesnt

My refridgerator has an automatic ice dispenser that doesn't stop dispensing when I pull the glass away from the button. So I have to open the door to get it to stop. Then sometimes it still doesn't stop and I have to open and close it a couple of times. Same with the water. same button for both.

maytag model # XXXXX
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Since this is happening with both ice and water, you have a dispenser switch that is either sticking or the rubber actuator pad that you push against is warping and not flexing back to the out position again. If you're not sure which of the two is failing, just replace both of them as they are fairly inexpensive. I'm not sure which color your pad is, but there is a black and grey available so click on the color you need.

Push pad (light grey)
Push pad (black)

And you need the switch too so below is a link to the switch.

CLICK HERE for dispenser switch

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how do I get the actuator pad off to get to the dispenser switch?

Below is a video that shows you how to replace this part.