Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a GE French Door bottom 2 door freezer refrigerator.

Customer Question

I have a GE French Door bottom 2 door freezer refrigerator. Model ge pgcs1pjzss

The refrigerator is not cooling, but the freezer is working.

I recently replaced the door gaskets on the fridge doors. Help the frig is 56 degrees inside

M
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good evening, Is the fan in the freezer running ? can you feel any cold air flowing from the freezer to the refrigerator section? are the gaskets you replaced seating correctly? nice and tight ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Gaskets simply fit into the groove and I have repressed them to make sure they are seated. I can feel no cool ar flowing from the freezer to frig. (ummm... in what area would I be feeling this?)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Fan in freezer is running

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

okay can you feel air comming into the refrigerator section from the freezer ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Where am suppose to be feeling it? Where does it blow up from?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
feel in the back middle number 235 on this diagram. there should be air flowing out that. its the damper assembly .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

on the back on the inside. No. No airflow

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay locate the door light switch and press that in to shut the light off inside then feel again and wait a minute for the damper to open.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

open the door, put my finger on the light switch to turn the light off. Nothing. waiting a minute. nothing

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

located the light switch, put my finger on in for a minute. Took it off...nothing no airflow

Is something blocking it?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
you have to hold the light off for a minute while this opens. when you let off it closes. it only opens with the light switch in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hold one. I taped the switch....so I could time it.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nope nothing

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay one more thing , open the freezer and look at the back wall , ids there any frost on it ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's Hawaii...there is humidity everywhere....however, the only frost in the freezer is near the gasket. The back looks clear

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

okay well i don't know why the damper would fail just from changing the gaskets but thats whats going on. Damper Control Assembly WR17X12456      Main Product ViewDamper Control Assembly WR17X12456      Main Product View this is assembly 251 on the diagram. it will need to be replaced. below is a link to the part. its called the air tower. http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/GE-Parts/Refrigerator-Parts/WR17X12456/0046/363/Model-PGCS1PJZASS/0432/0161000?keySuffixId=NA& ;pathTaken=partSearch&pathRender=modelComponent&documentCompId=G1103287&diagramPageId=00005&productTypeId=0161000&searchModelNumber=PGCS1PJZASS&subCompDesc=Fresh%20food%20section&brandDesc=GE&modelDesc=BOTTOM MOUNT REFRIGERATOR&blt=11&shdMod=PGCS1PJZASS&keyId=251

copy and paste that link to your browser.

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well that doesn't make my day. Thanks for helping. Guess I just throw out the food. Better luck another day.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Something is missing on the link you gave me.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry. You know what you can do is take this apart and unplug the damper, then open it about 1/3 by hand. it will cool the refrigerator fine until you get the part. also check and see if theres just ice frozen and keeping it from opening .
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

try this link...... damper/air tower

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Where is the damper/air tower located? I took the damper cover off, there is nothing there that looks like the example

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
its down below that part you were feeling for the airflow actually. the assembly is number
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

do you see this part ? its part number 216

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

part 216. ok, where am I suppose to be looking? In the freezer, in the frig? under the meat tray? Outside of the frig?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
inside the refrigerator , its probably right behind the drawers. near the bottom inside the refrigerator section.