Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Bake element not working on GE Monogram ZDP30L4. Broil element

Bake element not working on GE Monogram ZDP30L4. Broil element is fine.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Do you have a volt meter ? (multimeter)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes we have a volt meter. I'm at work at the moment and won't be able to work on the oven until late tonight or tomorrow. thanks for your help!

thats no problem I'm going to give you a link in the meantime that has a video on how to test. heres the link. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Bake-Element/WB44X10018/260872?modelNumber=ZDP30L4D1SS click the see help video link when you get to the site. at least you will know how to test the element now and know whether thats your issue or not, if not come back and we can do additional testing from there. thanks and have a great day, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Helpful video. So the range has two bake elements, that seem to be separately circuited. Visual inspection shows them to look fine. No breaks or defects. There is a Philips screw holding each side of the elements to the back of the range. I back off the screws to remove the larger of the two elements to do the continuity test. When I tried to pull out the element, there was a large bang and spark. I've turned off the breaker. I think to remove the elements I need to pull out the range, remove the back panel and get at it from the rear. But I suspect that if the relay wasn't toast before now, it probably is now.

Any advice?

Oh no, You didn't unplug the range before trying to removing the element ? that could be bad but not always, you shorted out the element to ground , usually this will kick the breaker off before damaging anything else. I have the feeling the relay was already shot . the video tells you to shut the power off before any work is performed. please shut the power off while testing. let me know when your back on.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yeah, my bad. I'll have time tonight to try this again. It's a built in stove/range and heavy as hell, so a real b*&tch to pull out. I'll connect with you again hopefully tonight.

Thanks for your help so far.

Your very welcome talk later , thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've removed both bake elements. They both pass the continuity test. However, the connector are burnt out on the larger element. That is, where the wires from the stove connect to the element is a connector. And they're toast. See below:

oh , well it looks like however you can sand them down and the connector will still connect do you think thats possible? you can get new connectors at Lowe's .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tested for current through the element wires, hoping to see 240V on the ACV setting. No current. No power either to the heating light on the oven dial. Even the broil element isn't working now. Does this mean that a relay block is dead? Is there anything more I can do or test?

This seems like it's beyond my ability to deal with. The trouble is that I leave in an extremely remote part of northern Canada, on a little island. There are no appliance repair technicians within 500 miles. So if there's nothing more you can advise, I'm going to have to replace the stove. A big deal since it's a $5000 range.

I'm sorry I wasn't on too late last night, I had my children and 5 grandchildren here. I will be here today checking my messages also, It sounds like your relays have failed but they are all part of the clock itself so that would need to be replaced.get back to me this morning and I'll look that info up. thanks. Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no problem about the delay. what would you like me to do now?

look for the high limit thermostat. High Limit Thermostat WB21X5359       Main Product Viewit should be on the back. press the red reset button. I think you tripped it .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Busy this weekend. I'll try to pull out the range tomorrow night and do this. Let you know how it goes.

okay thanks, this will stay open for as long as you need me, talk later, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've pull out the range, removed the back panel. There is no cutout switch like the one you pictured. It is supposed to be mounted above the convection fan, but there's nothing there... not sure what to do.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I found the switch. It is mounted under the oven, not on the back. The red button does not stay pushed in. Just pops back out. Suspect something's toast in it. Now what?

Good morning,you most likely have a shorted or melted wire somewhere in this now then. are the wires still connected to the lower element ? if so try taking them off and tape them so they don't short then try reseting the thermal cutout, does it stay reset then ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, back to working on this.

I would appreciate your continued assistance. I've done what you've suggested - I've connected the element wires with a marrette. The thermal cutout does not stay reset. I assume this means it needs replacing?

If I can get this all working, I'll pay you a $40 tip, so please stick with me!

okay so it shorts out the thermal fuse when you go to try bake ? can you try something ? take one wire off the bake element and tape it so it wont short out then try the broil, does the broil work without tripping the thermal cutout ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The broil element doesn't work either. I don't know if this helps: there's a little light next to the oven control knob that indicates the oven is in use. It doesn't work either. But, the convection fan still works.

This may be unconventional, but can I call you?

I really don't know what else to tell you,it could be the oven hot relay that's bad,

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
this may be shorted, its not available however and I don't have a way to test that for a short. at this point I'm sad to say a tech may be needed to look at this.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I live in a very remote area. I would have to fly someone here. Mucho dinero.

How about I replace the element, the temperature cutout switch and the relay that you think may be damaged? I don't mind trying to replace parts that may not have required it. Can I order this all through Repair Clinic? And what part numbers?

I'll tell you one thing that oven hot wire relay is very expensive. $247.00 ! repair clinic doesn't have any in stock but sears does. but they wont take it back if that's not the issue. heres a link though, http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/WB21X5362/0022/364?pathTaken=directMatch&filterPart=&pop=flush&prst=0&shdPart=WB21X5362 the part number is WB21X5362 repair clinic doesn't have the bake element either but heres the part number for that if you wish. Bake Element WB44X10018

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So I've ordered everything that may be defective and it will likely arrive in 3-4 weeks. Can I connect with you once I've received it, installed it and need troubleshooting thereafter?

yes I will be available and will leave this question open. thanks and talk then. Bryan