Rick
Rick, Repair Guy
Experience:  25 years service experience as a technician. Experienced on both high end and regular appliances.
15929851

my ge gsl251frf refridgerator side is not cold even after I

my ge gsl251frf refridgerator side is not cold even after I turn the knob to the coolest
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

repairguy :

Hello my name isXXXXX will assist you today

Customer:

ok thank you

repairguy :

give me one second as I look at the parts breakdown

Customer:

ok

repairguy :

How is the freezer doing?

Customer:

freezer is working

repairguy :

Can you please look at the lower back wall of the freezer and tell me if you see ice

Customer:

let me go look. I do know that the bottom had ice and then we had water on the freezer side outside of the fridge

repairguy :

You are most likely going to see Ice or frost on the back wall, you will need to remove that Ice no matter what to make this unit work correctly. but lets start with what you see, I will wait

Customer:

I see on the bottom part of the freezer an inch thick of ice

repairguy :

you are going to need to turn the fridge off, then remove everything from the freezer, you can put in coolers or just sit out we are going to get this working for you in short time. Then you will need a blow dryer to heat the ice blockage. As soon as you get all the ice off the rear wall, remove the four screws holding the rear panel. That will expose the evaporator coil, you will see more ice there, just use the blow dryer to remove, do not chip at ice or you will cause additional problems. you will also want to get a few dirty towels to catch the excess water.

repairguy :

Once you have removed all the ice, please let me know.

Customer:

ok I will start that now

repairguy :

just come back once clear and we will move forward

Customer:

my husband is using the blow dryer and it is melting quick. we do not see where the 4 screws would be

repairguy :

At the bottom of the back wall you should see vents, there should be two screws there and then at the top of the panel another set

Customer:

we got the panel off and there is lots of ice, so we are melting that now

repairguy :

Thats good, just let me know when done, I do it all the time so I am aware of how long it takes

Customer:

ok everything is all melted, besides myself, lol

Customer:

all melted

repairguy :

Ok do you have a multimeter to check continuity

Customer:

no we do not have one

repairguy :

ok, that is fine, there are usually two parts we replace when this happens, I will give you a link for both pieces, total parts price is right around $60. Go ahead and replace the rear panel, and restart your unit. This ice up problem takes a few weeks to occur again so lets get your unit running for right now.

Customer:

ok what are the parts and links

repairguy :

http://www.automaticappliance.com/lookup/166642/1235813 you will need part numbers 230 and 240

repairguy :

They are the heater and the the defrost thermostat

repairguy :

both are located at the coil you just defrosted and help keep this unit frost free

Customer:

ok. the drain hole in the back, where does that go?

repairguy :

it drains down to a catch area located underneath the unit and evaporates

Customer:

so I guess too much water was going thru so it overflowed to the floor

repairguy :

Right now?

repairguy :

Yes probably remember I mentioned towels

Customer:

yes weve had one there. we can't find the part 240 in the freezer, we see where 230 is

repairguy :

240 should be near the top snapped on to the copper line

Customer:

I just found the picture on the link and found it, pink and orange wires attached to it

repairguy :

i dont know the colors, but yes it has two wires

Customer:

ok. so now we put the panel back and plugged it back in. I will order the parts, how long does it usually take from this website?

repairguy :

a couple days, way before it will freeze solid again

Customer:

ok thank you so much, I am definitely giving you "Excellent Service" and will mention it on facebook also

Customer:

do I get a copy of the chat?

repairguy :

Thank you so much, if anyone needs help they always ask for me, I dont know if you get a copy or not, but you can always highlight and make a copy

Customer:

ok I will, thanks again so much

repairguy :

have a good night, when the part comes in if you have any question please come back and ask, you will not have to pay again i promise , just go to this question

Rick, Repair Guy
Experience: 25 years service experience as a technician. Experienced on both high end and regular appliances.