Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.
6636336

I have a GE energy star front loading washer. When I select

Customer Question

I have a GE energy star front loading washer. When I select a cycle & hit "start", the "time remaining" starts counting down quickly, but nothing happens with the cycle. what can i do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 1 year ago.

tom goellner :

The first thing to happen is the door should lock , then unlock after a few seconds then lock again and start a SLOW tumble , fill etc . Does it do any of this ?

tom goellner :

Are you there ?

Customer:

no. It just starts counting down

tom goellner :

UNPLUG it and wait 30 seconds . Then replug and see if that helps ( reboot the electronics ) In the meantime - what is the model number if this doesn't help

Customer:

ok hold on. Where can I look to see the model number? I don't see one anywhere

tom goellner :

One of two places - around door opening - or on the right side near the floor

Customer:

WCVH4800KOWW. I can't reach the plug to the washer. It's in a closet and I think it's plugged in towards the back

tom goellner :

OK - find the breaker and turn it off for 30 seconds

Customer:

Still not working

tom goellner :

If this doesn't help and since you can't reach the cord , we'll need two people for the next step - which is to see if there any error codes in memory . It requires killing the power for 30 seconds and then restoring the power and within 30 seconds of restoring power hitting certain buttons on the control to enter diagnostic mode . To save you trying to run to the electric panel to accomplish this we'll need a helper to turn the breaker on and off

Customer:

I don't have another person here. Anyway I can just do it?

Customer:

I'm not far from the breaker so I can get to it within 30 secs

tom goellner :

Can you make it back to the washer in about 10 seconds after restoring power ?

Customer:

yes

tom goellner :

OK - killing the power alone did not help I take it ?

Customer:

no unfortunately

tom goellner :

OK hang on a sec Hit the power button and see if the display is blank - it must be blank to proceed . Is it ?

Customer:

No, it shows the settings from the setting the dial is on (the time left, spin speed, temp, soil)

tom goellner :

Hit the POWER to get it blank

Customer:

It's off & display is blank

tom goellner :

On your panel you should have a signal button and a delay start button . Do you see these?

Customer:

yes

tom goellner :

OK - kill the breaker for 30 seconds and then turn the breaker back on and come back and hit the signal button first , then delay start buton, then signal button again and then delay start again and it should display t01.

Customer:

ok hold on a sec

Customer:

do I turn the machine on and then press the buttons?

Customer:

I can't get the display blank unless I turn the machine off

tom goellner :

Only press the signal and delay start buttons . The display MUST be blank - do not hit start . hit power to get the machine OFF - no display before starting anything else

Customer:

ok

Customer:

nothing is displayed. I'm guessing because the machine is off though. Am I doing something wrong?

tom goellner :

We want the mchine OFF - no display - just like when you first go to use it , and then kill the power for 30 seconds , restore power and within 30 seconds hit signal , delay start, signal, delay start and the display SHOULD show t01 . Do not hit POWER or START first when coming back from restoring power - the door should be shut - that's all

Customer:

ok I was doing it right, but the door wasn't shut. let me try with the door closed.

Customer:

nothing is displayed

tom goellner :

If you did it right , and I think you did , it should go in to the service test mode and display t01 on the panel. Try it over , but not getting at least this to occur - sounds like a defective main control board.

Customer:

just my luck. I'll try it one more time

Customer:

still nothing

tom goellner :

I have to leave for a while - I'll check back later to see if ever got into the test mode . IF , If you do get t01 to display , turn the large round knob one click clockwise and then hit start and it will display up to 10 error codes, just keep hitting start to see if there is more than one error code in memory. I'll check back later REALLY have to go for a while

Customer:

no problem. Thanks

tom goellner :

For certain serial numbers entering the test mode is different . Try this - do not kill power , but display must be blank and door shut press signal, then extra rinse, ( not delay start ) then signal then extra rinse again and see if t01 comes up . If so turn round knob one click clockwise until t02 is displayed and hit ENTER and see what error codes are displayed and let me know what they are

Customer:

got the code! yay. where is enter?

tom goellner :

You won't hit ENTER , there is no ENTER it should show error codes at the t02 position. To EXIT test mode wait 15 minutes

Customer:

I don't see any error codes. It just says t02

Customer:

and "door locked"

Customer:

i'll be back in 20 mins

tom goellner :

You are getting no error codes at the t02 position ?? Try again and this time hit start and see if any error codes are displayed.

Customer:

dE shows up

Customer:

still no error codes

tom goellner :

de is door not closed code This could indicate a door sensing switch problem. There is a round prong sticking out, at the top where the door would hit, this is the door sensing switch. Pry this switch out and jump the two wires to it together. Then close the door and see if the wsher performs correctly.

Customer:

I won't be home until about 6:30 this evening, unfortunately. I'll check the door as soon as I get home

tom goellner :

OK I'll check for your response Thurs A.M.

Customer:

We couldn't get the knob all the way out. I'm a little hesitant to mess with it.

tom goellner :

Take a small screwdriver and push in on the sides of this switch , It snaps into the oblong hole and there are plastic tabs on each side that hold it there . So pushing the tabs in will let let it come out . Once out there is a wire connector pushed on to the switch and you can put a jumper wire across the two wires . let it hang inside the machine and close door and see if it works. If it does this switch is defective. Note the tab is only on one side that needs pushing - the left side and the switch will rotate out - pulling the left side out first . Hope this makes sense. It really comes out easily - just a little hard to describe.

Customer:

I will try that when I get home. I was a little afraid to start playing with wires. Again, probably won't be able to do it until this evening. Thanks so much for your patience with me!!!

tom goellner :

Turn off breaker again before doing this.

Customer:

I can't get the tab off. One side comes up, but the other side doesn't. I don't want to break it so I'm not going to try this. I was looking online at some of the reasons why the display is counting down and a couple sites are saying it's an electronic issue with (I think they called it) a mother board. In that case, I'm guessing I'll need someone to actually come and replace it. What do you think? Is there anything I can do to fix this?

tom goellner :

It COULD be the main control board , but you are getting the error code for the door sensing switch , which is why I wanted you to try jumping that circuit first . Push a small crewdriver under the left side of this switch and pry that side out rotating the switch towards the right - the tab DOES NOT come off - it is just a piece of plastic that is somewhat "springy " so when the switch is inserted in the opening this tab snaps out and holds the switch in place from the back. The control kboard is part number WH12X10443 and is $132.00 and the switch is part number WH12X10444 and is $32.00 both available from www.repairclinic.com

Customer:

oh that makes more sense if the tab doesn't come off. That was the problem. I'll attempt again tonight! Thanks!

tom goellner :

OK get back when you do this

Customer:

So we had a repair guy come in. He reset everything & it SEEMS to be ok. He saw the door error and no other errors (just like you said). THANK YOU very much for your help!!!!

Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.
Glad you finally got this resolved . Please rate my help and Accept my answers as it is how I get paid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I actually had rated you on Friday. :) It's showing that everything went through, but if not, let me know.

Sorry - you are right - thanks for the excellent rating
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank YOU for your help and patience. Take care

Just for curiosity - your washer ddidn't need any parts ? - just reprogramming ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Of course, after I sent you that message saying it was fine, it wasn't. Turned out, it's the door switch. We do need a new one. Is it easy to install? I'd rather get it from that website you told me about because it's going to cost a fortune to order it through sears. I wanted to mention all of this to you, but I felt like I had already taken up too much of your time

Yes - easy to install , when you get the new one it will be self explanatory just by looking at it . www.repairclinic.com part number WH12x10444. Again turn off breaker when doing it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I think I'll try it. Saves me a ton of money. THANK YOU again! I'll let you know how it goes.

YES DO