The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

Dometic RM 2400 on a 1987 Toyota Dolphin. Works on 120V but

Dometic RM 2400 on a 1987 Toyota Dolphin. Works on 120V but not on gas. I'm following the manual to clean burner and jet. I've removed the electrode and the burner screw, but burner does not want to move. Seems stuck in right side holder and possibly in back, but I can't tell.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I'm Smitty. I am a professional appliance repair consultant here to help you diagnose, and repair, your appliance.

The picture below will show you what you need to do to get the unit apart.

Please click here to view the picture.

Please let me know if you have any other immediate concerns.
If not please select a positive rating at this time. Doing so will not close your question, and after you rate my service you may ask any followup questions you like. All at no additional charge.
Thank you for the opportunity to serve you.
Best, Smitty
**How to rate your expert**

Experience: 30 years repairing appliances
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Smitty,

I gave you an OK against my better judgment. The screw for the burner retainer is facing the wrong way -- not removable. The manual specifically does not ask for it to be removed. In fact, it says to make sure the burner sits in its slot on replacing it. So, they don't say to remove the burner retainer.

I'm not even sure the burner needs cleaning. I'm cleaning the jet right now. I'm suspecting the thermostat, because when I turn the thermostat knob the flame doesn't seem to change at all.

Gary

Screw #17 in the drawing is the one you need to loosen. The bracket slides up a bit and you should be able to remove it.

You are correct about the other screw. My mistake.

If the flame does not increase when cooling is called for then the thermostat is the most likely problem. It is what allows the signal to go to the gas valve and open the larger opening to increase the flame height.

The thing with the thermostat is it either works or it doesnt. If the unit works on other settings then that is not the problem.

Finish cleaniong the jet and see if that helps. If it doesnt please let me know and we can go from there.

Best, Smitty

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Smitty,

No way can I budge the burner bracket. It feels like it's completely wedged on in the back -- it seems to slide over an odd shaped protrusion in the back.

I put the jet back in and relit it. The deep blue part of the flame is only about 1/8 of an inch high. I don't know if that's normal or not.

The thermocouple is starting to break down -- kind of like a cigar -- little bit of red at the end. Could that be the problem? If the thermocouple was not working, would I even get a small flame?

Gary

If the pilot flame stays lit then the thermocouple "should" be ok. It may be a case of the thermocouple putting out just barely enough to keep the pilot open but yet not enough to activate the main burner.

Unfortunately the only way to test it is to replace it.

Just leave the burner in place and blow it out with xome compressed air. The stuff you can get at the computer shop to blow out computers with is fine if you dont have a compressor.

The burner is not critical but the jet is. As long asd the jet is good and clear the burner will not cause the flame to be low.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay, I may try a new thermocouple -- this one definitely seems to be deteriorating. They seem to be pretty standard except for length. I may borrow an unused one out of my house stove, even though it's way too long -- just to try it out. I'll also try blowing out the burner with some compressed air in a bottle

But, just to get it straight, there's a pilot flame and a main flame? I've never noticed any difference in all the times I've looked at the flames.

Also, the tube leading to the cooling elements seems to be just as hot on this flame as it was on the electric when the refrigerator made ice perfectly, so I'm going to wait a bit and see if it cools down. .

The fridge definitely did not work on our last camping trip!

Using a thermocouple out of another unit may not work. They are rated differently depending on how many milliwatts it takes to hold open the pilot diaphram.

You can try one. Iit wont hurt, but just be aware that if it doesnt work it still may be the thermocouple that is bad.

As for the pilot light, yes there should be a big difference. If it didnt have a pilot light then the unit would not come back on when it calles for cooling. Yours has a manual lighter not an automatic (according to the model number that is). therefore you have to have a pilot light.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. It's making ice now. I don't know why it seems to be working -- that kind of bothers me, since all I did was soak the jet in alcohol per instructions in the manual. I'll have to wait and see. I'll try to order a new thermocouple from Dometic in the meantime -- I have the parts manual, but I've never tried ordering a part from them before.

I still have never noticed a difference in the flame as the refrigerator cools down.

Anyway, thanks for all your ongoing support.

Gary it doesnt take much to restrict the jet enough to cause problems. A 20% reduction in the heat can cause the unit to not operate correctly. Gas absorbtion units are extreamly fussy with the amount of heat needed to provide optimum operating efficency.

I would holed off on the thermocouple till you see if the unit is going to work with just the jet cleaning.

You cant get parts directly from Dometic. Any RV center can get them for you though.