Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

ge frig. cleaned condenser on back because freezer not keeping

ge frig. cleaned condenser on back because freezer not keeping food frozenand still not working . I hear the comressor running but not making ice or freezing.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

Can you open the freezer door and look behind the shelf's at the lower panel, need to know if you see frost on the panel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes mike i am an hvac tech but never worked on refrigerators

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks for that Perry.

The defrost system has failed, Take the shelfs out of the freezer then remove the lower panel in the rear, behind here you will see the evaporator, below the evaporator you will see the defrost heater, disconnect it then test with a ohm meter, if the heater read open then it's bad and will need to be replaced.

If the heater reads good (continuity) then the defrost sensor has failed, this is clipped to the top of the evaporator.

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do i have to turn off frig if one of these is the problem ?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
When you are servicing it yes, the evaporator will be covered with frost so melt this first with a hair dryer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have imported wood floors in kitchen so i guess i will have to take the frig out to garage first

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
That would be wise because water is likely to over flow onto the floor.

Thanks!

Mike.

Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.